Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AT&T To End POTS?  (Read 942 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

AT&T To End POTS?
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
I am aware that AT&T has been trying to force the end of life for POTS but has anyone heard of a push from them to their customers lately?

One of my clients called me yesterday telling me that "Someone from AT&T" called them and informed them that if they do not schedule an appointment for a technician to come by and switch them over to digital service their POTS lines will just stop working SOON. This person also informed them that they are going to have to purchase a cell phone and pay the monthly fee if they wanted a back up in case the digital service failed. When the client pressed for more information regarding the cellular back up the person finally admitted that "You can use another cell number as a back up". That alone is what makes me think this is an aggressive sales tactic from a third party.

I have not been able to locate anything new online about it. I have read many articles that were published a few years ago but nothing lately. From what I've read 2020 is AT&T's goal but it doesn't appear as if the FCC has approved it as of yet.

I told the client to call their AT&T rep and ask about it but they have not done so yet. I told the client that it sounds to me like a third party contractor called them, you know the "I'm with AT&T" people.

I'm 100% sure POTS is going away at some point and I informed the client that it is going to become a reality probably sooner than later.

It's just that my client does not like to be pressured in this manner and if push comes to shove they will drop AT&T if it gets too harsh. Personally I wouldn't want to see them do that because I have other clients that have done so and they weren't all that happy with the less expensive service in this area.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: AT&T To End POTS?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »
This is VERY common, Bobby.  I get it about a hour east of you regularly.  They're not FROM AT&T, it's one of the third party sales monkeys.  This is how my calls go with them:

Me:  Are you with AT&T?

Monkey:  Yes.

Me:  Okay, I need you to send me an email from a att.com email address to prove you're with AT&T.

Monkey:  Oh, well, we can't do that.  We're actually...

Me:  [CLICK]

Been getting it for several years on one of our client's DSL line. They want them to go to Uverse. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:03:51 AM »
In the last couple of years, I have had at least 3 customers call me in a panic mode.
They said that ATT called them and said they will be canceling  their analog POTS lines and will force them to go to digital fiber.
They will have to get a new phone system because what they have will not run on the new digital lines.

What a bunch of BS.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Offline hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
AT&T is doing away with Pots lines and replacing with a Digital pots handoff, using a Adtran channell bank.  Works great and sometimes saves the end user money.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
  They're not FROM AT&T, it's one of the third party sales monkeys.

That's pretty much what I thought.

Thanks for confirming guys.  :003:

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
I'm telling you, Bobby, telling them you need them to send you an email from an att.com email address to prove they're with AT&T before talking to them is the best and fastest way I have found to sort them out.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »
I'll keep that in mind and I'll pass it along to the clients. Thanks again. :003:

Online EV607797

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 01:52:54 AM »
Verizon started doing the same BS with their FiOS service several years ago.  Using third-party telemarketers or mailing inserts, they spooked customers into believing something that isn't happening.  YES, they might be able to eventually phase out the traditional copper loop to the premises, but they'll still have to make an emulated version of this available to each and every customer, rural or metropolitan, unless they're willing to give up their franchise rights to a geographical region.  There's too much political value for a huge corporation like AT&T or Verizon to give away rights to a guaranteed customer base.

My 82 year-old mother won't give up her AOL account because they told her that if she cancels, she'll lose her ability to ever receive e-mail again.  I can't convince her otherwise.

It's amazing how a twist on words, or even just a few missing words, can have such impact.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
I know how that goes Ed. The client called me today about something else and told me that their AT&T rep told them it is bogus. They said that they don't have any big changes planned until at least 2020. Which is not that far away really.