Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remote Access Aplications?  (Read 66 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

Remote Access Aplications?
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »
Which remote access applications are you guy's using these days? I'm looking for an application for my clients and as always Free is better.

I have used "Join.me" in the past but it is no longer free. I've looked into Microsoft Remote Assistance but it looks a little cumbersome for the client to create an invitation since none of them are using IPv6 and most do not use Outlook.
Edit: Actually Join.me is still free but you can only share the screen as far as I know. In the past you could share mouse and keyboard control. That's what I need now.

Offline hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
Re: Remote Access Aplications?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »
I use join.me.   You have control of mouse and keyboard.

Online NTlayoff

• Pro Shop Member
    • CMH Telecom, Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Years ago I used to use LogMeIn.
Back then, I used it to access my office computer when out on the road and I needed some info or needed a file.
Nobody had to be at my office computer.  It was all for a minimal cost.
But then they increased the cost and I had to drop it.  Then they added JoinMe.
But I think JoinMe someone has to be at the remote computer to let you in.
Works great for most of the time there is someone there that you want to help.

I am still looking for the unattended remote access program that does not cost so much.
I really don't need that access very much any more but there has been a time or two it sure would have helped.

I thought JoinMe was NOT free.
If it is still free I may have to look at it again.
It is a great program.
But I am sure the Unattended and file transfer part will cost a lot to use.
If CON is the opposite of PRO
then what is the opposite of Progress?

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
We use VNC for the most part across our own dedicated VPN tunnels.  If I need something outside that we normally use TeamViewer.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Yoda

• Pro Shop Member
    • Tel-Comm Services
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
+1 for Teamviewer.  They have a free version if it's for your own use. Easy to try it out. I've used it from both ends, local and remote, and it's easy to use.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
We use Teamviewer.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't need to remote in often but it would be nice to have an application when I need to.

I'm not sure when join.me changed but it was very recent. Stacey dialed in and helped me one week and had full control and a week or so later she dialed in and had no control. I looked on their website and the free version no longer allows full control.

I've used LogMeIn before and it was very good. I really liked the session recording feature but as mentioned above it is very expensive. We had 5 licenses at the hospital and it was over $15K per year. (It' was a great application but not that great!)

I have thought about creating a virtual machine in their Synology NAS and using Tight VNC but I doubt the client will want to pay for a Microsoft License just for this and not all clients have a NAS anyway.

Edit. I've been tinkering with Microsoft Remote Assistance and it's not really all that bad. I think I've figured out a way to set it up so that the users don't have to do anything other than allow me to connect to their computer and grant me full control. After some in depth research it looks like a person can create scripts or batch files that will allow access without user input what-so-ever. I'm not 100% that it will work like that but I'll keep tinkering with it.