Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 670 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Facebook
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:34:31 PM »
New computer, latest Firefox and still Firefox becomes unstable after awhile when I visit Facebook. I used to chalk it up to an old version of Firefox on my old XP machines, but although I can scroll better eventually it still locks up.

What crap, don't expect to see me there any more.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
What crap, don't expect to see me there any more.

Don't expect to see me there at all.   :011:

Hal, the amount of scripts that run in the background on social media is crazy.  I see the same thing on crap news sites which is why I don't go to them.  My primary machine has three wide screen monitors and literally 5' of taskbar.  I run at least three different browsers depending on the need (FF, Vivaldi, & IE) to keep from overloading any one of them.  I'll be running probably 5-8 windows from each browser, and each window probably has 8-12 tabs open.  Because of that there is almost never a good time to reboot as I have way too many projects up at once.  Right now that machine shows to have been up for the last 203+ days.  You won't see me run iTunes either as once it's launched, reboot will be needed within a couple of days.  I use my machine for business, and I have no time for that crap, so I completely understand your position.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Yeah, let the millennials play with it on their phones.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
Just look at your browser processes in Windows Task Manager when you go to Facebook or any news site!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline EV607797

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one having this issue.  So many times, I get the 'another application is slowing down your browser' message, with the option to wait or close it.  It doesn't matter what I choose.  When it reaches that point, the only solution for me is to reboot.

After researching this on my own, I realized that I had turned off my AdBlockPlus feature for FB.  Maybe it did it on it's own, I don't know.  Anyway, as soon as I enabled ABP, my laptop started performing like new.  Ironically, in the ABP icon on the tool bar, it immediately started showing the number of ads blocked when on Facebook.  The number was astonishing.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
I have Ad Block on my old XP machines. I think it got so bad that Ad Block didn't keep things like Facebook from slowing down and freezing. Then I noticed that there is at least one site that detects when you are using Ad Block and won't let you see anything until you turn it off and when you do it still says you are using it. That's when I found that you can't turn Ad Block completely off. I opened a site with lots of ads on this new machine and an old one that had Ad Block installed. Turning Ad Block off only allowed some ads to display, not all as you would think. I also suspect that it causes problems with my banking sites. So I'm hesitant to install it on my new machine.

I'm a member of one forum that uses Google Ad Choices and they have one placed at the top of the page that refreshes about every 15 seconds. When it does the whole page jumps because the ad disappears then reappears and when it's gone the page jumps up to fill the space. VERY annoying. I complained to the "management" and got a "we'll send in a report". I'm using Firefox, funny how Google Chrome is supposed to minimize that kind of thing (Google provides the ads).

-Hal

Online telemarv

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 09:49:38 PM »
I also use this FB add-on to block hte mess of ads from facebook

https://www.fbpurity.com/
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:30:15 AM »
I also use this FB add-on to block hte mess of ads from facebook

https://www.fbpurity.com/

I had no idea such a thing existed!   :003: Are there any downsides to it?  :023:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline EV607797

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
None that I've noticed, however there are many pages that require you to turn off Ad Block + in order to review their content.  Their claim is that they operate based upon ad revenue.  Fair enough.  If the subject looks good enough, I'll just look for it elsewhere.  If it's legitimate, it shouldn't be hard to locate.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »
Has anyone used this device?  It was recommended to me by a colleague.

Pi-hole
https://pi-hole.net/

Block Over 100,000 Ad-serving Domains.  Known ad-serving domains are pulled from third party sources and compiled into one list.
The Pi-hole® is a DNS sinkhole that protects your devices from unwanted content, without installing any client-side software.

Review:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-05-10/inside-the-brotherhood-of-pi-hole-ad-blockers
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
None that I've noticed, however there are many pages that require you to turn off Ad Block + in order to review their content.  Their claim is that they operate based upon ad revenue.  Fair enough.  If the subject looks good enough, I'll just look for it elsewhere.  If it's legitimate, it shouldn't be hard to locate.

What operating system and browser are you using? Like I said above, at least with winXP and Firefox, AdBlock doesn't turn completely off and those sites still give you the message to turn it off.

I got into a debate over at Contractor Talk when somebody complained about the ads. The admin told him they were needed "to keep the lights on". BS I said. If you wanted to you could put up a site exactly like that one and host it on a server in your basement for a couple of hundred bucks a month. Just because these guys have staff to do what they don't know how to do and host the site from a server at some server farm someplace doesn't justify the cost. Further, the content that they are profiting off is generated by the members for free. The least they could do is eliminate the ads for members who log in.

As I expected that went over like a lead balloon with that admin and some Joe Sixpack members who couldn't understand the concept.

-Hal

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net

K4LRM

www.lscg.net