Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: access points vs wireless router  (Read 100 times)

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
access points vs wireless router
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
I have a small cabling job coming up, just 12 locs in a new suite being tied into the existing switch.
I asked, will you require any wireless? My client replied yes so I included 2 access points, 1 in the original suite
outside the data/comm room and 1 by the new suite they are taking over. My plan was to turn off the wireless in the Comcast modem and just use the access points.  Now, 1 of my clients employees said, "Oh, I was just going to boost the Comcast signal by adding a router in the new suite".  I suppose if they put that router in access mode it would be about the same as adding an access point without creating a  different network. I'm sure it's cheaper and that's what they are looking at but I need help with a good argument why my plan of adding 2 access points is better.  :023:
Any ideas?
---------------------------------------
TIA, wayne

Online EV607797

Re: access points vs wireless router
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »
I know it's tacky, but I can't say that I've never used a second router as a WAP by only using the WAN ports on it.  There's no doubt that routers with built-in WIFI are a dime a dozen.  I can't see the harm.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
I asked, will you require any wireless? My client replied yes so I included 2 access points, 1 in the original suite outside the data/comm room and 1 by the new suite they are taking over. My plan was to turn off the wireless in the Comcast modem and just use the access points.  Now, 1 of my clients employees said, "Oh, I was just going to boost the Comcast signal by adding a router in the new suite". 

I would have told him "who's dong this, you or me?" MYOB

The advantages of APs are that they can be located (usually on the ceiling) where the coverage can be optimized, not stuck in a closet someplace away from the devices that need to use it. Another factor is that APs can handle more connections than a cheapo WiFi router. That's an important consideration with everybody having a phone with internet access. Get enough in one place and your WiFi slows to a crawl.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
Use an AP.  Look at Ubiquity. They are cheap and a great product.

Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Use an AP.  Look at Ubiquity. They are cheap and a great product.

Can you use MAC Filtering with Ubiquity?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
MAC filtering should be done by your router or the switch the AP is connected to, to allow/deny a device. AP's are basicly antenea extensions.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
MAC filtering should be done by your router or the switch the AP is connected to, to allow/deny a device. AP's are basicly antenea extensions.

Marv, we run MAC filtering on all our APs.  It's not even open for discussion at locations we manage.  That's why I wanted to know if the Ubiquity would do it.  It is not a stand alone AP?  Is it just a remote off a master AP?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.