Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cell phone use while driving  (Read 482 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Cell phone use while driving
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
I got to thinking about drivers who refuse to stop using their phones while driving. Nothing so far is working. I can drive on any highway and see half the drivers either texting or talking.

The only way to stop this is to prevent the phone from working at the drivers position, and the only way to do that is through cooperation between phone manufacturers and automakers. My thought is to have a limited range transponder in the left door panel that would communicate with the phone anywhere around the drivers seat to shut off all but 911 calls. Any other phone in the car would be unaffected. The vehicle system would be integrated with the keyless ignition and door entry so that anybody looking to rip it out would damage those systems rendering the car unable to start.

So now I do a Google search just to see what's out there. Several apps using GPS to detect when the vehicle is in motion that are aimed at parents wanting to control their kids. Obvious drawback there is the app can't tell where the phone is in the car or if it is even in a car. Then there were a couple of black boxes that install under the dash that communicate with a cell app via bluetooth. Too easy to rip out.

Then I came across a patent granted in 2012 to Apple that apparently has all the advantages of what I came up with. I can't tell though if it involves a vehicle communications link which would require participation by the car manufacturers. At any rate, Apple has been sitting on this because they feel that if they made it part of their phones it would cut their sales. Everybody would just go to Android.

So the only way to make this happen is for the government to require it as part of all cell phones and vehicles. I know, I hate to see government involved but they already mandate seat belts, air bags and all kinds of safety systems in vehicles. Cell phone use while driving has really gotten to be an epidemic and has taken many lives and caused many more injuries.

What say you?

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Cell phone use while driving
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
So the only way to make this happen is for the government to require it as part of all cell phones and vehicles. I know, I hate to see government involved but they already mandate seat belts, air bags and all kinds of safety systems in vehicles. Cell phone use while driving has really gotten to be an epidemic and has taken many lives and caused many more injuries.

While everyone on this board knows how much I dislike government interference, I have to agree and would support a law being passed, SO LONG AS NO OTHER CRAP LEGISLATION WAS TIED TO IT.

This is one of the main reasons I no long own a motorcycle.  People are crazy with an addiction to these GD phones! 

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
I agree that misuse of phones in cars is a big issue.  That said, I have some problems with this.

I am on the phone in the car... WITH A HEADSET... all the time.   What is the difference between talking on a headset and talking to a passenger in the car?  It might be safer because I'm tempted to look at the passenger to see facial expressions.  Not so with my phone.

Your legislation better pose no cost to me, and it better not interfere with headset operation or I would fight it tooth and nail.  I should not be legislated against because someone else is misbehaving.  What happens when it's time for vehicle inspection and the little black Faraday cage isn't working?  Who's going to pay the $500 to get the mandated monitoring box repaired?  ME?  I'm going to pay so they can enforce their legislation?  I don't think so.  There is enough burden on me from all sides already. 

I swear I am more Libertarian with every passing day.
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »
Headset? Most newer cars today do a lot better than that. They have hands-free calling and texting as well as voice response. If your phone is linked to your vehicle it is perfectly legal to use and wouldn't be affected.

What happens when it's time for vehicle inspection and the little black Faraday cage isn't working?

What happens if the check engine or airbag light is on? Likely it's because some other mandated system isn't working properly and like it or not you foot the bill to have it repaired or you don't get a new inspection sticker.

I just had to pay almost $250 to replace two tire air pressure sensors in two tires because the batteries went dead.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
I just had to pay almost $250 to replace two tire air pressure sensors in two tires because the batteries went dead.

Exactly - and do we really need more of that?  I don't.   

I don't have a modern car, so a headset it is.  It's not integrated into the car; therefore, not exempt from the Faraday cage. 

I believe you're coming from a good place, I just don't agree with more intervention. 
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online telemarv

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »
We have leave the phone alone (distracted driving) legislation here (blue tooth exempt). The fines keep getting tougher because the drivers don't care. They are now stiff enough that it's starting to take effect. Cops are getting sneaky, posing as pan handlers at intersections.

This one law I agree with. Distracted driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving.

As for Hal's idea, I'm all for it. There are fatalities everyday caused by idiots who think they can text and drive.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
I don't have a modern car, so a headset it is.  It's not integrated into the car; therefore, not exempt from the Faraday cage. 

I think you are a bit confused. (Blue tooth) headset use is not illegal, matter of fact it's encouraged. Holding or even looking at the phone, even while stopped at a traffic light, that's illegal.

If you do happen to get a new car with my driver cell phone lockout feature, simply put your phone over on the passenger seat or in your bag in the back seat. The phone will then function and if you choose to use a headset, so will it. One of the important features of this system is that it will allow passengers to freely use their phones. Only the phone in proximity of the driver will be locked out.

Matter of fact it may even be possible to design the phone software so that it will allow normal operation, when connected to a blue tooth hands-free device like a headset or to Ford Sync, Chevy MyLink, etc. that provides hands-free dialing and answering.

You just don't want somebody with a headset dialing or texting. I believe an iPhone with Siri can handle all that for you through a headset.

-Hal

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:27:40 PM »
I agree 100% that people need to put the phone down and pay attention while driving but I tend to agree with Stacey in regards to legislation. These days technology provides so many options that I think provide more safety than ever before. At the same time I understand not everyone can afford (Or wants) to purchase a new or newer vehicle to get the new technology.

Having said that I want to say that there are alternatives to purchasing newer vehicles and the cost is decreasing as more and more manufacturers are getting into the game.

I will not hi-jack the thread and turn it in into an advertisement but I want to state that there are some nice options available.

I will provide a perfect example. I currently drive a 2000 Pick-up (I know it's old but it has less than 160K miles on it and I maintain it very well) that did not have anything like the latest technology from the factory but I found a stereo system that has the technology built in. I have it set up so that my phone pairs with the stereo when I turn the key on and it performs a lot like the newer vehicles as far as features plus it has features that the late model Dodge car my daughter drives does not have. Of course it does not have the steering wheel controls like the Dodge but if you really want those there are options available for that too. I just don't care about that personally.

It will pair with I-phones and Androids. None of us own Androids so I can't vouch for the features with those but it will pair with two phones at the same time (The late model Dodge won't do that) and I have the ability to send a text message or make a call by touching two buttons using "Siri" all hands free. If I allowed "Hey Siri" it would be completely hands free but I do not want that option on my phone.

I purchased the satellite adaptor to go with the system and the system cost was around $300 dollars. I didn't buy the GPS kit because I like the GPS I purchased not long ago but I think it was less than $100 dollars.

The point I would like to make is that I don't think that we need more laws on the books mandating such drastic measures for the vehicles we OWN. And like emission laws they would only apply to vehicles that were manufactured before certain dates anyway.

If anyone is interested in the system I am using P.M. me and I will be glad to provide the information to you.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:17:56 AM »
I am on the phone in the car... WITH A HEADSET... all the time.   What is the difference between talking on a headset and talking to a passenger in the car?  It might be safer because I'm tempted to look at the passenger to see facial expressions.  Not so with my phone.

I also use Bluetooth which is legal in Virginia.   My daughters, who have new cars use the Bluetooth connection in the car.  We need to stop the people who are looking at the phone instead of the road!

Distracted driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving.

Thank you, I wish more people would see it that way.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »
I agree 100% that people need to put the phone down and pay attention while driving but I tend to agree with Stacey in regards to legislation. These days technology provides so many options that I think provide more safety than ever before. At the same time I understand not everyone can afford (Or wants) to purchase a new or newer vehicle to get the new technology.

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy a new car or cell phone. But eventually both cars and phones need to be replaced. The requirement would be that all vehicles manufactured after a certain date and all phones manufactured after a certain date have this capability. Spread out over the entire consumer base, the cost would be minimal.

I applaud you for installing a stereo in your old vehicle that includes hands free. But most people aren't going to spend the money or just say "screw you, it's my car, I'll do whatever I want in it".

This is why we need this legislation.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Having been a pilot for many years and juggling charts, checklists, multiple microphones, and instruments while dodging weekend flying doctors like gnats, I'm wondering how long it's going to before someone wants to ban me from talking on the radio while entering Class B airspace. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
Having been a pilot for many years and juggling charts, checklists, multiple microphones, and instruments while dodging weekend flying doctors like gnats, I'm wondering how long it's going to before someone wants to ban me from talking on the radio while entering Class B airspace.

Lets talk about California, you know.....the place that loves to make laws!!!!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31339736-California-Distracted-Driving-Law

California: Distracted Driving Law
In January 2017 a revision to the California Vehicle Code 23123.5 intended to expand texting (already prohibited) to all possible forms of interaction with a smartphone had the unintended side-effect (when strictly interpreted) to also prohibit the use of amateur radios (as well as CB radios and commercial radios used by Transit Operators, Taxis and Delivery Services and almost anybody else for that matter). Emergency professionals are the only remaining exception but even then only while in official emergency vehicles!.

Notice this was to expand an existing law.  This is a big problem with politicians, they're never satisfied with an existing law they always look for more and more control!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
I'll take the stand here and ask- is talking into a handheld PTT mic any safer or less distracting than doing the same with a cell phone on speaker in your hand? Why shouldn't it be subject to the same restrictions?

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Why shouldn't it be subject to the same restrictions?

I've never seen anyone stare at their microphone while driving. Most have the frequency set so all they have to do is pick it up and talk. I'll bet that is less of a danger/distraction than reaching for a coffee, which is done every day.   Now I will agree a very small number of people use their cell phones as you described, but most people today are staring at the phone and not watching the road.  Three years ago my cousin was sent to the hospital and his friend was killed when their motorcycles, stopped for a left hand turn were struck from behind, by an F150 while that drive was staring at his phone.

The key here is, we all stare at these damn phones!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »
I do agree with you Larry. You can add that radio users are small group of, I'm sure, more responsible people than the general public. I doubt that there has been any accident attributed to 2 way radio use while driving.

Still, it's old technology. It would be easy enough to have a hands-free interface, even blue tooth that would pair with an in-car system if you have it. If you ever used Ford Sync that does everything from changing the radio station, navigation to texting all by voice command I think you would be sold.

-Hal

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »

Sorry Trace, I forgot about your comment.
There is a big difference between an addiction to the frivolous use of a cell phone and the need to use communications for the operation of an aircraft. A pilot is trained in those procedures and will know how to operate the radio safely.

All a cell phone user is trained in is the use of his or her thumbs...

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 08:46:35 AM »
My daughter does use the Ford sync, but I like older vehicles, so I use a plantronics bluetooth ear-piece with voice recognition. The phone stays clipped to the visor. I also use speech-to-text (my fingers are too damn big) for communication with those who insist on texting.  I only use that feature when I'm not driving.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online silversam

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
My 2017 Chevy Malibu offers to read me any texts i get while I'm driving. The H/F integration with the iPhone is excellent for voice and data.

Sam