Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SL2100 Page and Loud Bell questions  (Read 267 times)

Online Yoda

• Pro Shop Member
    • Tel-Comm Services
SL2100 Page and Loud Bell questions
« on: May 10, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
Couple of questions about paging, MOH and loud bells on the SL2100. I had trouble with some of this on a 9100, and ended up using a PGD(2)-U10 in order to page to 2 overhead zones. Hope I don't have to do that with the 2100.

The SL2100 Hardware manual looks pretty straight forward as far as paging and MOH into the system (page 2-79). Should be ok for one paging zone. More than one zone requires a zone controller? Or just a PGD(2)-U10?

My biggest problem is ringing loud bells with incoming calls. I would like a contact to close and follow the ring cadence. Currently this happens on the old Norstar that will be replaced. Call rings, KSU contact closes, Wheelock dry contact interface closes and operates 24 vdc bells. I see the dry contact interface is no longer available, so I suppose this is a sign I should do something else. But then I have to change out my loud bells. Maybe a Viking device to interface to the Valcom 70v horns and do a ring over page? No way the built in relays will operate with incoming calls is there?

Thank you for your help.
Jim

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Re: SL2100 Page and Loud Bell questions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »
Paging and MOH are pretty straight forward; however, even though NEC says that External MOH and External Paging can run on the same 082 card, we have found that is often not the case.  If you split them on to separate cards, you shouldn't have a problem. 

The SL2100 can provide up to three external page zones - each 082 has one audio-out resource on the RL port.  You would need to stock the cabinet to the max of three 082 cards to get those 3 zones.  If you need more than that, we've used the Viking PI-1 on a CO port with success.

I'm not really certain on your loud bells question.  We did run into an issue once where there was an problem with the the third-party door bell cadence (it wouldn't stop ringing) and the NEC could not do anything to change the behavior.  It was all at the bell end, so if the bell can't do it alone, don't count on it.  In 10-61, where you set up the relays, the only options are External MOH, BGM, External Speaker, or Door Phone.  Someone else may know better on that, though.
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online Yoda

• Pro Shop Member
    • Tel-Comm Services
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:33:03 AM »
Never thought about the page and MOH being on the same card as a possible problem. Interesting. As far as the loud bells, I found the Viking K-600F https://www.vikingelectronics.com/product_docs/DOD/476.pdf that I think will work. Feed it with a single line extension.

It seems that with all the programming options available, and the magic of VE's, that the NEC is lacking in it's input/output connections. A programmable contact closure would be nice.

Thanks.
Jim

Online Yoda

• Pro Shop Member
    • Tel-Comm Services
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
I ended up using the Viking K-600 with an analog station port feeding it. Then out to my existing dry contact closure that runs the 24 volt bells. Simple and effective.

When the 24 v bells or the contact closure interface dies, we'll move over to ringing over the page horns, still using the K-600. Versatile, too.

Jim

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
Just FYI - we did get paging and external MOH working on the last 082 card.  Seems to be an intermittent issue.

Glad you got everything working on your end.
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam