Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Schools are removing analogue clocks  (Read 286 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Schools are removing analogue clocks
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »
While I have my own issues with "these kids today", I'm not sure analog clocks or reading/writing in cursive is a really big deal.

Sorry, I'm not listening to any excuses. The human mind is amazingly adept at learning new things. All through my life it's curiosity and challenge that piqued my interest in wanting to know as much about just about everything I came in contact with. Not only did I learn how to tell time from an analog clock, I wanted to know how it worked. 

What's missing today is that curiosity, that thirst for knowledge. Kids today are so comfortable with their parents handing them everything, an educational system that teaches an agenda and cell phones and other electronic devices that keep kids minds in a constant stupor, the art of thinking no longer exists.

I haven't written in cursive since grade school. That's only because my hand writing is atrocious and printing is much more legible.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online jknichols

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
I actually prefer an analog clock for general time reporting - It's a lot easier for me to say "Oh, it's about half past three", than to mentally decipher 2:47 or 3:28 or some other overly-precise digital representation.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
Good point. What would a kid today say if you told them it was half past three?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Skip555

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Good point. What would a kid today say if you told them it was half past three?

-Hal

probably tell you " no i, ts 3 33 "
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 07:09:55 PM »
I remember reading a hypothesis for a research study years ago that posited those who processed time in an analog fashion, meaning they had a feel for how long it took for a minute hand to sweep 15, 30, 45 minutes etc., were able to estimate time more accurately than those had to equate it to a digital clicks of the clock.  It was an interesting research statement, and afterward I realized that I very often do that very thing.  I can equate the time to how long it took for that hand to sweep when I was sitting in a boring elementary school classroom.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.