Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, do you still think "The Cloud" is a good thing?  (Read 551 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
So, do you still think "The Cloud" is a good thing?
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:22:47 AM »
And so it starts. "Microsoft To Ban ‘Offensive Language’ & Monitor Your Private Account"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/03/27/microsoft-ban-offensive-language-xbox-skype-office-account/amp/

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: So, do you still think "The Cloud" is a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »
Here's a question; "Who gets to decide what is offensive language?"

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The 4th amendment does not apply to the "cloud"!  :002:

Private and cloud are mutually exclusive!   :066:

Just for the record; I have been consistently against the cloud ever since I first heard of it!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
I don't agree with censorship of any kind but, if the cloud storage is out of the country does your constitution apply?
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
Even more onerous is that this applies to MS Office 360 and your Word documents. So they are going to be snooping through our correspondence???

This is all under the guise of fighting human trafficking. What the hell does bad language have to do with that and what business is it of anybody anyway???

I've said it before and I'll say it again- the Cloud is just a convenient way for the government to access all of our private information that they had to get a subpoena and search warrant for when we had it on our own storage. Whatever is out there doesn't belong to us anymore.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
I don't agree with censorship of any kind but, if the cloud storage is out of the country does your constitution apply?
No Marv it does not, it doesn't even apply in this country once it's out of your home.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again- the Cloud is just a convenient way for the government to access all of our private information that they had to get a subpoena and search warrant for when we had it on our own storage. Whatever is out there doesn't belong to us anymore.

-Hal

Exactly!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
Follow the money.  When you think about it, why would they care about offensive language?  They likely don't, but by using this red herring that sounds moral, what they can really do is scan all of your email for keywords and sell the data for target marketing.  Our receptionist at this office was having a discussion with her grandmother recently about a stem cell procedure the grandmother was considering.  Shortly thereafter, the receptionist started getting targeted ads in her browser.  Alexa was nearby and listening, just like the FB app does on your phone.

As for rights, they're a private company.  It's really no different than saying you can host your site on our servers, but hosting port is a violation of our AUP.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
As for rights, they're a private company

Exactly!   It's really about their rights.....you have the right to not use their service.

Follow the money is always the best way to find out what's going on.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
From what I understand they are only going to "look" at your information if they have a reason to believe you've violated the terms of the AUP.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
From what I understand they are only going to "look" at your information if they have a reason to believe you've violated the terms of the AUP.

Oh, Marc!  You drank the Kool Aid!  :012:

:066:

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, Trace... but couldn't think of a nice way to say it.    :011:
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:06:07 PM »

But how would they find that reason if they weren't looking in the first place? Somebody drop a dime on you to tell them that you used profanity in a letter you wrote to them? Did Alexa tell them that you were cursing while watching a football game on TV?

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Does anyone remember when we were first introduced to the cloud? :023:

Do you remember being told to use it for your backups and everything would be incrypted? :023:

Only you will have access to the content! :022:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 06:35:01 AM »
Oh, Marc!  You drank the Kool Aid!  :012:

I'd like to believe Microsoft has too many business customers who would not approve of them snooping into their data.

But how would they find that reason if they weren't looking in the first place? Somebody drop a dime on you to tell them that you used profanity in a letter you wrote to them? Did Alexa tell them that you were cursing while watching a football game on TV?

That's how I understand it and I've talked to a few people who assured me this is how the policy will work.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
I still believe it will comb data.  Why would they care if it weren't for a profitable reason?

BTW, Marc, we ran into that issue at first with our servers hosting multiple domains, but finally got past it.  I remember there were some challenges getting all the mail records set up a certain way.