Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Mounties are Here!  (Read 728 times)

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Re: The Mounties are Here!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 10:47:38 PM »
It will not stop snowing here.  Driving home from work the other day, I saw a National Grid truck working on a scorched and smoking utility pole.  I rarely lose power for any length of time, and I have the wood stove in case of the worst. 

"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Offline EV607797

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 11:24:08 PM »
During times like these, the 'armchair engineers' come out of the woodwork, complaining about power outages.  Their most common gripe is why power companies can't bury power lines.  Yes, at low voltages, they can bury them to your home.  Even at medium voltages for local distribution, they can, and do.

These ass hats seem to think that placing 100KV cables in the ground is also a reasonable request.

Hell, I'd love to see one of them get a dose of 19.9 with their post hole digger one time.  Their surviving family members would certainly change their tune.  There's a reason why dangerous things are kept out of the reach of people.

What these geniuses don't understand is that a short can occur anywhere on a circuit and knock the whole thing out.  A tree branch five miles away can knock out a circuit feeding thousands of customers.  It's not about each house.  It's about each circuit.

Hey, I don't know anything about heart surgery, so I guess I'll maintain my patience with these people for now.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:43 PM »
That's the problem, people today at least around here don't know how to be responsible for themselves. It's all intertwined with the lack of trades people, pathetic educations and bad parenting. They have become so used to having things given to them and done for them that they freak out if something becomes unavailable. They have no idea how to provide for themselves. Something like the loss of power or a snowstorm or hurricane  becomes the end of the world. Ever think about preparing yourself and your family for such eventualities? That's probably easier said than done though because most of these people don't even have a clue how to do it.

-Hal

As an example, yesterday there was a story about a family that either borrowed or rented a generator and ran it in a closet in their home. All were barely conscious when one called 911.

Guess they didn't learn about that kind of stuff in that good college they went to.

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music