Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fiber to POTS conversion  (Read 298 times)

Offline Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Fiber to POTS conversion
« on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »
I'm really not sure if this is the right place for this question, but we'll move it if need be.   :003:

I have a potential customer that had a fiber point-to-point installed from 15 to 25 years ago.  He knows next to nothing about it, but they are using converters to get the carrier services from the building at the top of the hill down to the hydroelectric plant about 1000ft away.  The carrier will not drop services at the plant without exorbitant build-out costs.

They are looking for us to install a new phone system, but their biggest complaints are that they cannot hear callers over the noise of the plant and DTMF tones from certain cell phone carriers (AT&T) are distorted causing calls to route improperly.  This was not always the case.  Sound has deteriorated over the years.  My concern is that replacing the phone system may not fix the issue.  Is anyone familiar with these converters (or their ilk)?  When they start going bad, can they decrease volume and distort DTMF?

Google hasn't found this part yet.
Fiber Options (appears to be Interlogix now)
MODEL:  341A1-T/1BXX
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online oobie

• Technician
Re: Fiber to POTS conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 10:53:01 AM »
I had to replace these at a water authority that we take care of at one time for some PC that they would pull readings off of that they would dial into.  Literally replaced it one time never heard from them about it for 10 years then we put a wireless link down to it for them as the PC would then be able to be accessed in a different manner so it went away.

Depending what your doing why not set the system at the head end, and IP extensions at the plant?  Or if that isn't an option what about the new system having SIP trunks on it from the carrier?
Gary Frisco

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
They only have DSL for internet running over the fiber.  They do not want to put anything IP into the mix - they already have issues.  We will look at what we can get into the top building for services, but they have traditionally had difficulty getting carriers to deliver where they are located.
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online oobie

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
Gotcha!!  But what if you just utilized the fiber to the plant for IP phones and left the system set where the POTS land now?  Or is that not an option?
Gary Frisco

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
I tried to talk him into that, but he doesn't even want to plug the chassis into the network.  He gave me a pretty hard "no" on that one.

Online oobie

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
What about a separate network since you'll free up fiber pairs?  I know i'm drawing at straws for ya!!
Gary Frisco

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »
They've actually decided to table the issue for the moment.  He wants to replace the phone system and see if it helps, then readdress it if necessary.  So... no answer yet, but the impetus to find a solution is also alleviated for the moment.