Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fitbit  (Read 923 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Fitbit
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »
Who has one, who's going to get one, and what do you think of them?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
Re: Fitbit
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
Have, stopped using it.  Go with app on my phone

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
How does the app track what you do?  Does it require you to wear your phone?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
With the app, you wear or carry your phone, just like Fitbit

Online EV607797

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
My sister gave me one last year as a Christmas gift and I love it.  It's synced with my iPhone and it amazes me with the data that it collects.  I was especially impressed at how it knows how many flights of stairs I have walked.  I even tried to trick it, but oh no, it knew.  I like the sleep quality monitoring feature, although it requires that you wear it while sleeping.  That's something I had to get used to, but aside from that, it's great.  Not to mention that you can read text messages and preview caller ID, which is handy when you're busy.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
I wore through two of them.  Loved the first one for lots of the same reasons Ed gave, though mine wasn't quite as smart as his.  The second one I wore less.  I found that after awhile, you get a good sense of your activity level without using it. 

My daughter bought me a Fossil hybrid watch for my birthday.  It has the step tracking, but it's way too nice to wear while trekking in the woods or working out on my exercise machine.  I think it's definitely worth getting the first one and seeing if it suits you. 
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
   Well.......I got roped into the Fitbit frenzy this Christmas!   Dana wanted a Fitbit for Christmas and decided I should have one too.  My daughters also have them as well as their spouses.   So now we all have these damn things!   My 1st dislike is setting up an account, every thing you purchase these days wants or requires an on line account!   After manipulating the data to disguise myself, (it thinks I was born in 2000 with Feb, 29 as my BD) I find it to be much like Facebook!   So I went through all the set-up making EVERYTHING private!
   I don't see the same level of accuracy as many of you see.   I went on a 3 hour trip this week and noticed more than 1000 steps added to my account!   On the return trip, I checked the step count at start-up and then checked again at the first stop 2 hours later.  This damn thing claimed I walked 492  steps during that 2 hours!   OK.....I want to be fair so lets look at a few reasons.   I'm left handed and wear this contraption on my right hand.   My truck has a manual floor shift which as we all know is operated with the right hand.  I don't believe I shifted 492 times in 2 hours of highway driving even thought the interstate was very crowded with some stop-and-go traffic.

What's up with that???????   This Fitbit is giving me a shit-fit!   

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online EV607797

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
The number of steps you walk can be deceiving.  To just walk out my door and back from my mailbox is about 200 steps, so it's possible to rack up 492 with minimal effort.  I found out from my sister that the blasted thing has a built-in altimeter, which is how it knows about the number of flights of steps.  That's just crazy!  I agree about setting up the account; I don't like it, but I just ignore it.  Just having the data right there for viewing from my iPhone is good enough for me.  Like I said before, I'm more interested in monitoring sleep patterns than anything else.  It doesn't like when I fall asleep sitting upright, which I often do when watching TV.  It tries to motivate you to sleep in the correct position, which is a good thing, I guess.

The only drawback I've found is that it's hard to get a week out of a charge.  Since you need to have it on your wrist 100% of the time in order to get accurate data, there will always be that hole in your routine while you charge it for several hours.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
I adjusted the stride then walked 300 steps.  It clocked me at 298 which is right on in my opinion.  I guess there is some problem with vibration which would account for the number of steps while I was driving. Dana's brother had his on while using a snowblower and it went over 30,000 steps!   :011:  My daughter was pushing a baby stroller in her neighbor hood and it did not register hardly anything?

I have the "Alta"  which does not count steps or heart rate. I got Dana the "Charge 2"  which does both, it will also automatically adjust the "stride" setting using the GPS in your phone.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Rhonda

• Wells Manufacturing, L.P.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
I also have the Fitbit Alta.  I have a desk job and log a couple thousand steps just from moving my arms around and my butt never left the seat.  When I want an accurate count, I put the alta on a clip that attaches to my shoe as walking around Wal-Mart or any store with a shopping cart reads almost nothing.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
I have the Alta HR too, though it's primarily just tracking my hours of sleep and resting heart since I can't seem to find time to move around.  Like Rhonda, my butt is in a desk chair at the business office in the morning, the truck seat while headed to the other office, and then in another chair until about 7:00 at night, back to the truck seat, and back to the desk chair.

On a side note, Rhonda, what kind of phone are you using and does your bit give you a fit when trying to get it to sync to it?  My last one was the same model as Stacey's and I never had an issue getting it to sync.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
I got Dana the chargeII and she has a terible time tring to get it to sync.   My Alta came with a dongle for my PC and I love using the PC for tracking.  I have it set to sync with my Galaxie 6  Samsung phone with no problems.   I get better graphs on the PC than the phone.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
Well it's been a little more than a year since I started using the Fitbit Alta.  I am now at 5 miles a day with 1600 mile for the year.  During the summer I was walking about 7 miles a day.  I also changed it to my left hand because the manual floor shift in my truck ended up recording steps.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
That's great, Larry.  What are you averaging a day as far as calories?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
During the summer I was hitting just over 3400 calories a day.   I have dialed it back to 3100 per day for now.

Another change I've made is to get up from the desk and make sure I get 250 steps every hour.  If I have a long drive, (more than an hour) I stop and walk for a bit until I have the 250 steps.  If I don't have 250 steps by 10 minutes of the hour, I get a vibration from the Fitbit.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net