Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pet Peeve......What Is Your's  (Read 272 times)

Online KENB

• Technician
Re: Pet Peeve......What Is Your's
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Liberals
Bad manners
Doctors that try test you to death
People that take pictures of everything they eat and post it on facebook
Old people that wander trough stores and block aisles s if they are the only ones alive
un ending scam calls you cant block

Yada yada yada

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
Agree will all points Ken!   :066: :054:  :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:32 AM »
People that take pictures of everything they eat and post it on facebook

And title it "AMAZING" or "YUMMY".

Yeah, maybe to you...

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online ttech

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:11 AM »
Sam
I have the same siren Pet Peeve as you.    I am the Chief Engineer of our volunteer fire company.   I have been driving fire trucks and ambulances for 23 years.   I can telll you it absolutely infuriates me when the officer in the truck runs the siren late at night well before an intersection that probably doesn't have traffic anyway.   When there is left/right traffic they can't hear the siren anyway until your right up to it.    There are also amber arrow stick lights on the back of the trucks and ambulances that are supposed to be used when stopped.   These other drivers put them on a flash pattern and drive with them on to and FROM calls and they are blindingly bright at night.   Going back the trucks are no different than a UPS truck and shouldn't have them on.   

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »
I can tell you it absolutely infuriates me when the officer in the truck runs the siren late at night well before an intersection that probably doesn't have traffic anyway.   When there is left/right traffic they can't hear the siren anyway until your right up to it.

Well, up here in the suburbs you would think there would be a different perspective. I don't agree with you. I'm not a first responder but I can tell you if I were I would relentlessly lean on the siren and air horn because I see to many idiots who just either don't give a damn or are too stupid to get out of the way. "Probably doesn't have any traffic anyway" doesn't cut it. Just because you can't see some drunk doing 100 miles an hour that your truck hits and kills isn't going to stop his lawyer from suing your department and township because you didn't use your siren.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online silversam

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
Well, I'm around the corner from a fire house and they use the sirens with discretion. When they do use them - it's always for a good reason.

Here in the city Private ambulances - whose main business is transporting patients with non-life threatening issues can - on very rare occasions - be called upon to take 911 calls (if the system is backed up). This entitles them to lights and sirens.

Which they use when going for coffee. Why?

Because they can.

Pisses me off.

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
No, returning to the firehouse or going for coffee or food is not an emergency. It does not warrant sirens or lights or not obeying traffic rules like any other vehicle.

-Hal 

Online ttech

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
Hal. I'm talking between 10 PM through 5 AM when there is NO traffic, but neighbors and residential streets. .   I Also have a pet peeve for the opposite.  The neighboring station has so many EMS calls that they see runs as another hour that can't watch TV.  They will run down the center turning lane with nothing more than a whoop-whoop every once in a while during rush hour traffic.

I've been to 2 serious ambulance accidents and both were due to over confidence that the other drivers are not idiots.   

I have people "race the truck" and they don't move over and when they do they block the road I have to turn down.   Some people will follow the truck feet from the bumper,  and pass the people that pull over.  The order of the cars should stay the same.   Back in the day when I rode on the back step,  we were told that if you are uncomfortable with how close someone is following,  we could knock  an extinguisher off the back step.  If they are 500 feet back they have time to swerve.  We never did it.