Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A more Aggressive Email Scam  (Read 78 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
A more Aggressive Email Scam
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:51 AM »
Got this yesterday;

from; noreply@wemail.com

Hi lmezzoni@lscg.net

This is to inform you that your security needs to be updated and we will stop processing incoming emails in your Box.

Your account will be suspended if you ignore this message.

Your  security info needs to be UPDATED to avoid Shutdown.
        Oct. 2017 00:28:50 -0500
You have less than 48hrs.
Use the button below to continue using this service

Continue with Validation

Stop receiving this message, click here.

Thanks,
Administrator
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: A more Aggressive Email Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Crap like that gets sent to the junk mail file so I can safely open it. After reading the first two sentences it would have gotten deleted.

But I'll bet there are a lot of stupid people who would click on those links.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:37:17 AM »
It was in my spam folder from the beginning, I was curious what the latest scam was.

The only danger is in action on these emails.  :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
Our title companies are getting hit hard.  In fact all U.S. title companies are getting hit hard now.  Our competition in one small town got scammed and took a hard financial hit.  Unfortunately the scammers must have finally hired someone who speaks English because they're looking very legit.  The escrow officers are regularly calling I.T. to see if an email is legit. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline EV607797

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »
I spend what seems to be most of my frigging life chasing these for my parents and my aunt, all seniors, who insist upon continuing to use AOL.  That e-mail address is a scammer's dream.  Nobody uses AOL, except for the vulnerable elderly, who are easy targets.  To make matters worse, they are paying monthly fees for their AOL mail when they all have cable/telco Internet accounts that include real e-mail.  I think AOL is up to about $17.00 per month now. That's a scam all by itself.

Yes, these scammers really are getting much better at their craft.  Hell, I switched one of my credit card accounts over to paperless billing.  Their first bill looked so shady that I blew it off.  A $25.00 late payment fee taught me a lesson about that stuff.  The real ones look fake and the fake ones look real.

My mother loves when she gets messages rewarding her for her perfect credit or loyalty to a particular store chain.  The discount coupon ones are her nemesis.  She falls for every one of them, thinking that they hand-picked her because they like her.  Stop it, Mom!  Everyone shops at Kohl's, Sears or Wal Mart, not just you!  If not for the ones recently offering $50.00 gift cards from Amazon (she doesn't even know what Amazon is), I may not have ever known about her gullibility.

My dad is better about the e-mails, but he still answers every unknown or 'out of area' caller to his cell phone and can't understand why they keep calling. 

DAD!  They keep calling because you keep answering!
Ed Vaughn
Operations Manager
Zaitek Converged Communications Solutions
(540) 735-2300 X108

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
DAD!  They keep calling because you keep answering!

Years ago I set up an IVR on the trunk to my parents house that said, "You've reached a limited access number.  Please enter your passcode to continue."  Then it flushed the call if you didn't have the right code.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.