Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Equifax Suffers Largest Breach of 2017  (Read 148 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Equifax Suffers Largest Breach of 2017
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »
https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2017/09/07/just-equifax-suffers-largest-breach-2017/?equifaxbreach=&ad_id=505219&share-ad-id=1

The hackers were infiltrating the company’s systems from May to July of this year.  The consumer data compromised includes names, social security numbers, and in some instances, the customer’s driver’s license number.  Hackers also obtained credit card information for 209,000 customers.  Beyond U.S. customers, certain individuals located in Canada and the U.K. were also impacted.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Equifax Suffers Largest Breach of 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:20:47 PM »
If hackers were able to infiltrate Equifax just how secure do you think Cloud stored data is?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:26:40 AM »
If hackers were able to infiltrate Equifax just how secure do you think Cloud stored data is?

-Hal

And everyone runs to it as if were the greatest thing since sliced bread!   :023:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
When questioned, Equifax, stated they have a staff of 2 full time IT techs handling security.
That includes , door access, parking lot gates, and on line security.
See the problem. 

Cloud companies have teams involved in security 7 x 24.  Much more secure. Yet there still can be problems.  Must security leaks come from on site staff. Not by design, but it happens.
Many examples of this.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
Don't know about that. The other day they said that their Director of IT and another guy, probably his subordinate "resigned". Those IT guys you talk about are just flunkies as most IT guys are. I doubt they had much to do with keeping data secure.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:44:03 AM »
It also took Equifax months to come clean, so I wouldn't trust a damn thing they say now.  I doubt those who "resigned" were at all responsible, more of a sacrifice for PR.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »
Larry, it could not agree more.....

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
I agree too Larry. There has to be more to this than IT flunkies and those who resigned. I wouldn't believe anything they say either. I did their on-line search to see if my information was breached. It was not, but they still offered to sign me up for their credit protection product. For all we know this is just an elaborate scam to to sell something or turn lemons into lemon aid.

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
I did their on-line search to see if my information was breached. It was not, but they still offered to sign me up for their credit protection product. For all we know this is just an elaborate scam to to sell something or turn lemons into lemon aid.

I got the same crap!

I guess firing the two IT flunkies who were blamed for the problem is supposed to now give us a warm and fuzzy feeling about Equifax being now OK!   :022:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
You two are lucky.  They said mine was.   :061:
"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours."
— Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
https://askleo.com/equifax-breach-means/?leo-equifaxbreach=&ad_id=505231&share-ad-id=1

Equifax’s handling of that breach has since been termed a “dumpster fire” by noted journalist Brian Krebs. Their instructions, website, and tools to help you determine if you’ve been impacted have been nothing short of a total mess. The term I’d use instead of dumpster fire isn’t appropriate for a family publication.

All indications are that if you’ve ever had a credit report, your information is likely part of this mess. Even if you’re not sure, it’s best to assume it.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
... supposed to now give us a warm and fuzzy feeling about Equifax being now OK!

I never had a "warm and fuzzy feeling" about any company compiling information on anybody.  :035:

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »
Excellent point!   :054:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »
I never had a "warm and fuzzy feeling" about any company compiling information on anybody.  :035:

Even the CIA is forbidden to do that on American citizens.  :008:

Of course with that said, they probably have less information compiled than Facebook.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.