Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testing CAT6 Shielded cable with Byte Brothers RWC  (Read 1506 times)

Online Skip555

Re: Testing CAT6 Shielded cable with Byte Brothers RWC
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 06:19:27 PM »
Update , Yes it will certify Shielded . the strange results where from the crappy mod plugs they provided . 
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »
Hey Skip,

It's been a while since you started using this unit. How do you like the Byte Brothers RWC?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 11:39:12 PM »
I've had one for a few years and I like it very much for what I use it for. I think Skip has mentioned it's an inexpensive device compared to the Fluke's and such.

It will provide you with a lot of information for each cable indeed.
The argument against the tester is when it comes to "Real World" or as the manufacturer refers to it "RW" it gets a little strange.
Example: There is a cable test that is very accurate and the results are accurate.
If a pair is OPEN the problem will be indicated in the test report.

In the "Real World" test the cable will indicate a "PASSING" test result if the data flow is sufficient even with the open pair.

All in all for my use I like the tester. If I were in the cable certification business no way!

Online Skip555

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
 Bobby sums it up well  , Ive had mine a couple of years I Like it overall . my biggest complaint is having to go to the other end of the cable and plug the probe/ remote in as part of the test . I thought I lost it so I bought a LV pro which is my go to tester I use the RWC  if there is a issue becouse it will give me distance to the fault .  I do small cable jobs  30 drops is a big job for me .  For the money its a good tool 
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks for the insight.  That helps a lot.  I've been playing one this morning and that makes sense.

Skip, it looks like the LVPro sells for even less than the RWC. 

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
I thought I would follow up here on Bobby and Skip's analysis.  Real World as they put it is an interesting concept, but in the real world the only thing you really care about is how much data will really make it down the pipe.  So let's look at a truly real world case:

Building was wired by my guys about 15+ years ago.  All wiring in the walls is Cat 5e with Leviton jacks.  All patch cables on this test were Cat 6, all switch ports and network cards were Gigabit.

The RWC scanner certified all ports and cabling at Cat 6 and greater than 1 Gbps. 

To test the results we used iPerf to see how many zeros and ones we could push down the line.

Mean iPerf result was 552 Mbps.

This pretty much blows out the RWC's claim that we could certify it as a Gigabit infrastructure. 

After taking the wall cabling out of the equation and going straight to the switch with Cat 6 cables, the mean result was 915 Mbps so we can pretty much call the Cat 5e wall wiring test a bust.

From there I thought I'd take it one step furhter and take the switch out of the equation.  This switch held up very well compared to using a crossover cable.  In fact the differences were de minimis.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »
Well one more update on the RWC.  I opened a ticket with the company citing the above results and asked if there was any reason or if I perhaps could have tested differently.  The response was well, no response.  Maybe it's because I wrote my ticket in English, but it got quieter than a Millennial job fair. 

As usual, I guess we'll be sticking with Fluke. 

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »
it got quieter than a Millennial job fair. 

:011: :011: :011: :011: :054:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 08:04:45 PM »
I wondered where you were, Larry.  I thought you would appreciate that one.   :008:

Still haven't gotten a single reply from them.  I find that speaks more volumes than anything they could have written.