Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Belden REVconnect system for UTP cable  (Read 765 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
New Belden REVconnect system for UTP cable
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »
Interesting but expensive.

https://youtu.be/LH9de5SergA

And for shielded STP

https://youtu.be/qfph_yH3NbQ

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online silversam

Re: New Belden REVconnect system for UTP cable
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »
Nice looking! What are the prices?

Sam

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
Interesting, but at 46 seconds in, when they fold the wire pairs back, it looks like they've been flattened. There is very conveniently no twist where the pins are going to bite.  Maybe I'm missing something.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:47:12 PM »
That's one of the advantages of it Trace. Sam, I saw $8.98 per CAT6+ UTP termination. Tool is $111.00 from Allied who sent the email. Question is also what plates do the jacks fit.

Oops. I see that price is just for the jack. You also need a bag of the cores-50 for $24.23

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »
So this really intrigued me, and I decided to order a tester/sample from them. I'll pay more, if it a true significant time saver and a quality product.

NOPE

Within 2 minutes of opening it, and playing with it, my lead tech Jordon had broken the plug connector so the entire unit was rendered un-usable. Stay away from this, for now, or at least until they redesign the $.002 plastic piece that broke and made it a trash item.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
So this really intrigued me, and I decided to order a tester/sample from them. I'll pay more, if it a true significant time saver and a quality product.

NOPE

Within 2 minutes of opening it, and playing with it, my lead tech Jordon had broken the plug connector so the entire unit was rendered un-usable. Stay away from this, for now, or at least until they redesign the $.002 plastic piece that broke and made it a trash item.

Thanks for the heads up Tony!
Gary Frisco

Online silversam

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Thanks, Tony - for taking the bullet for the rest of us.

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »
Yeah, I'll stick with Leviton.

-Hal

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Yep.  We have stayed with Leviton for many years now.  Still using our original Rapid Jacks from 7 or 8 years ago (whenever they came out).  No broken inserts, smooth operation.  Techs adapted to them right away with no problem.
I know that there are cheaper inserts out there but we really haven't had any problem whatsoever with failures. 

Retired Now

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
Agreed, staying with them, across the board is never a bad idea. Leviton for the win!

Just for giggles, I screen capped their animation/YouTube video to show you the part that broke so easily. Literally, the smallest, cheapest part of the entire structure was the fail point. Minus that, I think it's a cool design... but obviously you can't have a $.002 fail-point.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
So you are saying that wiggling the cable breaks that tab off? Looks like they could have easily put another retainer tab on the top.

I would send your findings to them complete with pictures. "Thanks for providing me with a sample of your REVconnect jack for evaluation. Unfortunately we found that the single jack retainer tab easily broke off rendering the assembly unusable. All it took was just simple movement of the cable as would happen when installing the jack and wall plate into the wall. I believe your product has potential, but at this point  we'll stay with other "less prone to failure on installation" products. If you decide to redesign this product to eliminate this problem I'll be happy to evaluate it again."

:015:
-Hal

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
Haha! God love ya Hal 😂

I have already sent them "that" email, but worded differently. We did 2 steps:

1. Disconnect product
2. Say - how does this little clip hold this on? Wiggle it. Broke. Done
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com