Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SL1100 Remote IP phone  (Read 505 times)

Offline oobie

• Technician
SL1100 Remote IP phone
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
Have  client that has SL100 and 1 remote IP we are trying to connect for them.  The office has a DSL connection and the home where the phone does has a DSL connection as well. 

Phone was configured and will come up and connect but the audio is horrible.  IT has set up bandwidth management prioritization and still get horrible audio.  We have tested this when there isn't a soul in there office working with very little bandwidth being used at either location. 

Any thoughts?
Gary Frisco
Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: SL1100 Remote IP phone
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
My guess is, Gary, that it's not the office location at all and so that's why bandwidth priority isn't helping.  It's the upload speed on the DSL at the home location.  You might also want to set up a ping loop to see if the home location is dropping packets. 

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
UPDATE:  I got this working correctly.  While there are some blips because of the rural connections it works really well when your Sonicwall is setup correctly!!!!  I forget what setting it was but my firewall guy found it and turned it off and it corrected everything.

Thanks for your help MacGyver!

Gary Frisco
Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:40:33 PM »
Crap. I didn't realize you had a Sonicwall in the mix.  I should have asked.  Yes there can be some challenges.  You may need to change your UDP Inactivity settings too.  If you come across what needed to be changed, please let us know.  It's always good to keep a laundry list of Sonicwall settings.

Glad to hear you got it working. :054:

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
Yeah those damn Sonicwalls!!!  It was something under SIP and not the normal stuff.  I sent the tech a message that made the change the sonicwalls and I will let you know what it was.

Thanks!!!
Gary Frisco

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 05:13:07 PM »
Happiest day of my life was when I pulled the two Sonicwalls between our offices. Way too buggy.
Vertical Comdial Dx80 and  DX120 Voice Mail Repair/Compact Flash Cards
Comdial Debut Compact Flash Cards

Online tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Die SonicWALL die. Kill it with fire. There are so many SIP and VoIP related problems with those things. I prefer the Meraki or the SOPHOS any more. Still heavily leaning towards Meraki for all our hardware firewall and edge routing needs. Fantastic support too
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »
I prefer the Meraki or the SOPHOS any more. Still heavily leaning towards Meraki for all our hardware firewall and edge routing needs. Fantastic support too

In the end we've always been able to make the Sonicwalls do everything we wanted, but now that Dell owns them we're done.

How do you feel about Fortinet?  I haven't played with them, but I've got a sales guy that is pushing hard for me to give them a try.

Online tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
Agree - they got the Dell kiss of death. That being said - there were so many problems with the partnership/takeover - they went back out on their own, after being sold. Here's an article about it - https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/20/confirmed-dell-sells-software-division-to-francisco-partners-and-elliott-management/

I've never messed with the FortiNet's but have heard good things. Have you played with the Meraki?
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
I've never messed with the FortiNet's but have heard good things. Have you played with the Meraki?

Not at all, but I like the sound of the tech support you mentioned.  Is it stateside or overseas?

Online tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
Global, but regionally available - check it out - https://meraki.cisco.com/support/

24×7 telephone support based out of San Francisco, London, and Sydney technical assistance centers
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
I'll absolutely check into it.  As we hit EOL we're scrapping all the Sonicwalls.  Told the rep support has gone to Dell.