Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Dropped Calls in Trixbox  (Read 1999 times)

Offline MWAngel

Troubleshooting Dropped Calls in Trixbox
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
Hello,
I am trying to troubleshoot some dropped calls and calls with audio on only one side in a Fonality Trixbox and I’m not really sure of the best way to go about it.  So far I have had the office staff where the server is located log the time, date, and the phone number of the person they were on the phone with when the problem occurred.  After that I rotated the logs and copied over the messages.x file that contains logs of that time and looked through them with Notepad ++ to find that phone number and all I see is the standard Hungup messages that don’t show if the hangup was initiated by Asterisk or by the other end of the call.  I called Comcast (because we are using their phone lines as trunk lines with a 4 port Sangoma FXO card) to see if they could tell me if those calls were disconnected on my end or from the other end, but they keep wanting to send a technician out to check signal levels at the modem.  I finally agreed to that, but the tech said that the signal levels were great and that it sounded like a bandwidth issue to him.  I called back and as you can imagine got nowhere with Comcast.  So I go back to the drawing board and edit the logger.conf file to say:

messages => notice, warning, error, debug, verbose

instead of:

messages => notice, warning, error, verbose

Then I rotated the logger and checked some of the new logs and I am still not seeing what I am looking for.  All I get for debugging is:
DEBUG[2328] pbx.c: FONALITY: This thread has already held the conlock, skip locking

I’m at a loss here.  Is there any way I can turn on logging so that it will show me if a call was terminated by the Trixbox or by the other end of the call?  If the call shows that it is terminated by the Trixbox then I can concede that it’s my server and start looking for fixes, but if the calls are being disconnected at the other end then I can assume it’s an issue with Comcast’s lines and I can try to make them look into it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Re: Troubleshooting Dropped Calls in Trixbox
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
One-way audio is usually blocked RTP ports.

It looks like it may be possible to use Wireshark with asterisk.  I'm not very familiar with the linux CLI, but Wireshark is an excellent diagnostic tool for SIP traffic. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFpQLyQxt84
"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours."
— Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

Offline MWAngel

Re: Troubleshooting Dropped Calls in Trixbox
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »
I watched that video and something like that might work for troubleshooting issues with the phones connecting to the server over the LAN, but the interface coming into the server is an "analog" phone line.  We switched this customer to Comcast's phone service after he complained about the SIP and hosted PBX setup he had before this.  It's a decision I'm starting to regret now that I'm trying to troubleshoot it.  I've been looking for days for a way to monitor this connection and keep coming up empty handed.  Hmm...