Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Allworx Question  (Read 12691 times)

Offline hacky

• Pro Shop Member
    • Hackbarth Communications, L.L.C.
Re: Allworx Question
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
Under Phone System, could you click on Shared Appearances and confirm nothing out of the ordinary is defined in there?   If that extension is assigned a line appearance that is assigned as a shared appearance, such as an Executive/Secretary arrangement, unexpected behavior may occur.  It's been a while since I've tried that programming that but it's definitely worth checking.

Confirm also that DHCP in the Allworx server is disabled.  Even if the lease scopes between it and your data network were kept perfectly separate, they are on the same broadcast domain, and you'll still get weird behavior, DHCP conflicts, and you'll see  warning messages in the System Events that there is a duplicate DHCP server. Rely totally on your normal DHCP server for operations but keep your local Allworx handsets static.  You should be able to leave the remote handsets alone as they will either use DHCP from the other site, or be pure static on a site-to-site VPN.   If you absolutely need DHCP from the Allworx too, the network demands that you set up a voice VLAN at that point.

After all that, I too would upgrade to at least the next minor revision, which should include fixes to major bugs.

The arp table sounds correct.   Allworx will add entries to it when it sees an arp broadcast. On a flat network you'll see other hosts like laptops.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome !

Software Developer and Allworx Dealer
Donovan Telephone Consulting & Repair

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »
DHCP is definitely disabled in the Allworx. I double-checked that this morning. I don't have a Shared Appearance option.  Is it Call Monitor in this version?  If so - it's at default.  Thank you!   :064:

“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
Yep.  When you take over a system and you haven't installed the network, it can be a bit frustrating and time-consuming to find out the cause of a problem.  However, this is why we recommend software upgrades, too.

The cost of a yearly upgrade key can be minor compared to the hours that a goofy problem can suck up in tech (on site) time, remote time---or just research time. Now, don't get me wrong---we don't do what I am preaching here all the time, even though we try our best and it's a real push to keep even a small percentage of our Allworx systems on the latest software.  Most of ours are 3 years to 2 years old---but we try to keep somewhat current because the major (feature) upgrades take a bit of time and if you have several major upgrades, plus all of the minor one, it becomes more of a hassle than if it's just upgrades for 2 years, or so.

With that being said----I have NEVER had a real problem with upgrades being time consuming nor complex.  9 years ago, the process seemed to be much harder, but they have streamlined a lot of it and even rebooting the phones isn't that difficult---but you've got to be working with some newer software.

In your situation----the first up-tic to the upgrade might solve a few bugs that the customer never even knew was there. However---last week, we upgraded just to a minor version (customer had it coming free) and when there was a person in the queue, the phones would immediately give a short burst.  It never did that before the upgrade.  We found out that a "courtesy ring" that could be toggled on or off in a queue situation was included  as one of the minor feature upgrades---unbeknownst to us.  We just reprogrammed some ringing and we were fine---my point being---this is what happens, sometimes, even in small upgrade patches.

I'm off my soapbox, now.  The advantages to Allworx 6X upgrades in my opinion far outweigh any disadvantages.  I still have an open mind, though.  :011:
Retired Now

Offline hacky

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
In older software, there is no Shared Call Appearance area.  It was all done by adding other Call Appearance PFK's to the phone, and programming the Call Route to ring the shared sets in parallel.  So as long as there is none of that in your Call Route and no Call Appearances for other extensions programmed as PFKs,  there are no shared appearances configured.

Call Monitors are an efficient way to ring a bunch of phones at once using only one SIP resource. Downside is you don't get the calling party info on the screen of the phones, instead you get the name of the Call Monitor that was programmed from your screen shot.  To ring a bunch of phones and still get the calling party info, you have to ring them directly from the Call Route which consumes one SIP resource per handset, and is highly inefficient.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »
To ring extensions, I always do it from a virtual extension e.g. ext 200.  You might take a look at the extension list to see if they have any virtual extensions and see how they are set up to ring and the call routes etc.  Just a thought.
Retired Now

Online Keighlar

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
I have successfully swapped the phones for now to see if the issue follows the physical phone or remains with the user. The customer does not want to upgrade unless they have to. If the issue remains with the user, we will upgrade as the next troubleshooting step.

Thank you all for your assistance. I'll keep you posted!
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
Yep.  Good Luck.  Hope it works.
Retired Now

Offline hacky

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:01 AM »
I saw from your other topic you might be running 7.4.10.5.   That build has bugs and was pulled by Allworx.   You need to be on at least 7.4.19.2 to be even on what's considered stable 7.4.   There is no charge to upgrade minor builds / revisions.  There is no reason, whatsoever, in the universe to be on a pulled build.

Again, there is no charge.  Run an officesafe backup first and do the upgrade.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »
There may be no charge for the upgrade software, but there is to the customer for our after-hours service. They do not want to upgrade unless they have to.They have been running this build for a couple of years with no other issues. I will certainly upgrade if this doesn't fix it.

Thank you for the information.
― John Steinbeck