Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Electrical Experimenter  (Read 655 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
The Electrical Experimenter
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
The early days of electronics;
http://electricalexperimenter.com/

24 issues starting with May 1917!  Just click on any magazine cover to read the whole thing!  :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: The Electrical Experimenter
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
New link; https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Electrical_Experimenter.htm

The old one does not seem to work.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
Last weekend I was desoldering and replacing switches on the printed circuit board for an RC car transmitter.  That new soldering iron rocks by the way; but I started thinking about how seldom replacing components is even an option anymore.  When I was in my 20s that soldering iron got used more than my microwave.  Then again back then it seemed more fun too. I miss the days of coils and relays. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:19:46 AM »
I enjoy soldering and love to build/design small projects.   A few of my "older" friends are now complaining their hands shake too much to be able to solder anymore.  I dread when that day comes for me! 

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online telemarv

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
I built kits as a kid like Eico and Heathkit. I started my career as a bench tech for Radio Shack in the early late 70's. I still do a bit of repair, battery terminals etc. But, since the invention of micro surface mount components and multi-layer boards I don't touch them.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
But, since the invention of micro surface mount components and multi-layer boards I don't touch them.

That has put the brakes on for most of us!

I have a large supply of through-hole technology components which I use in designing my own circuits.

I also have approximately 3000 vacuum tubes (valves for you British folks) and love to restore old radios.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline silversam

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »
When I was working for GTE, one of our responsibilities as a CO switchman was to repair circuit boards. Not all circuit boards, but certainly line and trunk cards. You've got a Trunk card with 4 circuit or a line card with 8 and one of them doesn't work....

Well then, break out the Huntron tracker (which came as part of the package - along with a Simpson 260 and an Oscilloscope - with every switch) and compare the bad circuit with the good circuit. Find the bad component and replace it from spares. Not hard and...rewarding.

For sure, it's different nowadays, but still. it was good to fix the stuff on site.

Sam