Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying to emulate HDMI?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline EV607797

Trying to emulate HDMI?
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
OK, I hope that I don't sound like too much of an idiot, but I'm a telephone man, not an A/V guy.

I'm trying to help a friend who had a house built about eight years ago and the sparkies charged her about $300.00 to run a piece of what appears to be component COAX (I think that's what it's called).  It only runs about ten feet from the corner of the room to the screen above the fireplace.  Unfortunately, it zig-zags in traditional sparkie format across studs, around corners, etc.  There's no chance in hell of pulling anything through with it.  Finished basement ceiling, of course.

It has five individual COAX cables in the jacket, R,G,B,Y and W.  Is there any way that I can use this to emulate an HDMI connection using this cable?  Installing the right cable is feasible by going outside and coming back in, but I'd rather not do that if I can help it.  A CAT5 run would be a piece of cake if there are any adapters that are reasonably priced.  Any ideas?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Trying to emulate HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »
There are all kinds of HDMI extenders out there that use two runs of CAT5 or 6. I have no experience with any so I can't recommend anything. Google is your friend. Keep in mind that HDMI is fickle because it is a secure link. I have found that some devices and TVs just won't cooperate even connected with a straight cable. So whatever you do I would want to be able to try it out and have the option to return it if it doesn't work.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »
Ed,

I've used these with good success.  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=6532

Gary
Gary Frisco

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
Ed I haven't used them, but I have read some good things about some wireless HDMI video transmitters.  As I understand it, you can get a good 1080 kit for far less than the sparkies charged.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »
There are many HDMI to Coax Extenders available, but they are expensive.

A simple Google search for hdmi to coaxial extender will give you several options. I personally haven't used any HDMI to Coax Extender, but I have used many HDMI to Cat5e extenders and you have to be careful that you get one that bidirectional or you won't be able to play most Blueray or DVD and you will also lose all of the auto negotiations features.

Define what you mean by reasonably priced? You can find Cheap inexpensive units that will barely do the conversion, but won't do anything else or you can find those that do what you need, but they will cost you.

The same is going to go for all HMDI to CAT5e extenders.
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com