Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help Identifying Phone Block  (Read 2122 times)

Offline candulj

• Madison Information Services
Help Identifying Phone Block
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
Hey Guys,
Need help from more experienced techs on identifying the pictures of this phone block and what to do with it. This phone block is located inside a 30 year old apartment building with a total of 17 units. A buddy of mine who's an electrician sucked me into this one. I gave him a good piece of my mind for doing this. I need your help identifying the block and suggestion on how to recable this block. Apparently the rats chewed through the units phone lines and the electrician ran new CAT6 cable to each unit. He first called Verizon to come out and cross connect everything to the new cabling but the Verizon techs won't touch it. "I can't say that I don't blame them". Then he calls me and wants me to completely remove and replace this old phone block with a new cross connect or something appropriate. I've done my fair share of 66 blocks but this one has me concerned because there is a ground wire bonded to the backboard of this block and I believe 66 blocks are not the correct solution for the proper type of replacement equipment. I need to detach the entire phone trunk  and punch it down on either new blocks or something similar as well as rerun the new CAT6 and properly route and reconnect everything properly on a new fireproof backboard. 2 reasons I'm concerned for proper grounding. This is Florida and lightening is my primary concern the other is ensure the circuits are grounded properly. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.Joe

Joe
Thank you,
Joe

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Help Identifying Phone Block
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
First of all that is a building entrance protector and it does not belong to you, the sparkie or the building owner. It belongs to Verizon. So you can't remove it or replace it but there really is no need to anyway. Standard procedure is to install Krone blocks (yes I  like Krone for this) to the right then cross connect them with cross connect wire to the proper binding posts in the BEP. Since you only have 17 lines you can get away with one 25 pair Krone. Off the other side of the Krone you punch down the drops from the apartments. Better, you could do another field of 66 blocks, terminate all 4 pairs of each drop on those then cross connect to the Krones. Of course you should do a nice job with rings, posts and a backboard. And it looks like you may need Verizon to identify and tag some of those lines.

And tell that idiot sparkie that he could have saved a bunch of money by using CAT3 instead of CAT6.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline candulj

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks Hal, from your feedback, my apologies. I should have listened to my initial instincts and been more firm with the sparkie. I'm in agreement, however Verizon techs were called out there and refuse to even touch it due to the mess and multiple B connectors and scotch locks. So if I understand you correctly and am clear, even though I would only plan to disconnect at the building entrance point and re-terminate the same trunk lines to properly bonded new equipment as well as attach full surge protection to each cross-connect, Verizon would not approve giving these circumstances? I'm not going to lose my LV license or get fines for this if that's the case. Please confirm. Thank Joe
Thank you,
Joe

Online telemarv

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »
As Hal says. All you are allowed to do reterminate the house cables (marking apt numbers etc) and interconnect to the binding posts of feed with cross connect. You can not move or alter BEP itself.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline candulj

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
thanks Marv, calling sparkie with the bad news and let him decide if he still wants me to do it the right way. Joe
Thank you,
Joe

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
... re-terminate the same trunk lines to properly bonded new equipment as well as attach full surge protection to each cross-connect

No need for additional surge protection or bonding. That is adequately done by the BEP for basic POTS service to single line phones in apartments. All you need to do is clean the mess up.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline candulj

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
Thanks Hal, will do. Much obliged,  I value and appreciate your experience & input. Make it a great one. Joe
Thank you,
Joe