Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video door box solution?  (Read 4320 times)

Online EV607797

Video door box solution?
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
We just finished wiring a new building for a customer (100% drywall ceilings) and they asked us to run one additional CAT6 cable to the side door during construction for a door box.  Now that everything is finished, they announced that they want us to furnish said door box.  It has to not only be a door intercom box, but it has to have a video camera as well. 

The good news is that it only has to be viewed at one location, so I'm looking for something that comes in a pair, like the door box/camera for outside and some kind of unit at the front desk for viewing and answering.  There's no chance of getting any other wiring or power at the door location, so I'm in need of something that will provide all of this functionality over a single CAT6 cable.  Does any one have any recommendations?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline ttech

Re: Video door box solution?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »
I had good luck with the Aiphone JK series door phone.

Online EV607797

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
I looked at that, Don, and it seems like a perfect solution.  The only problem is that when I looked at the installation manual for it, it specifically states that you cannot use twisted pair wiring between the camera and the base unit.  As you know, CAT6 doesn't get much more twisted!  It only calls for parallel conductor cable, such as doorbell wire.  Me thinks that this is why they designed it with this limitation; so that existing doorbell wiring can be used.  Who would have thought?
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Give Viking a call.  They might have some ideas.  http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/appnotes/5ways%28886%29.pdf

We ran into the wiring issue also with the Aiphone equipment.  Good stuff, but you've got to get in there and run the right cable.

Retired Now

Offline ttech

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
Yeah I did run 18awg to it. Last time.  It was a while. 

Offline telemarv

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
I wonder why UTP doesn't work?
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
I looked at that, Don, and it seems like a perfect solution.  The only problem is that when I looked at the installation manual for it, it specifically states that you cannot use twisted pair wiring between the camera and the base unit.  

Hey Ed, I'm not familiar with the device you're referring to, but do you have enough pair, to use an entire pair as each single conductor?  What I mean is that one wire to the station would be the blue pair, another wire to the station could be the green pair.  It would use up 4 of your wires, but at least you wouldn't have that hard twist working against you.

I called one of my suppliers, but the guy I needed was out on site.  I'll call him back later to see if he has a system.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking, Trace.  The problem is that the cable run is long and even though this plan may work, I can't afford to risk it when the Aiphone system costs about $600.00 for the system pair.

@Mick:  Viking was my first stop in this quest and I'm their biggest fan.  No dice there.  All of their camera/door box solutions send video over a separate COAX cable.  No chance of providing that now since all walls and ceilings are closed.  I'm stuck with a single CAT6.  We ran a separate CAT6 to the adjacent door strike, so we might be able to steal a few pairs for power to the door camera/box if needed.

I find it hard to believe that some manufacturer hasn't come up with something to address such a situation in this day where "CAT5" cabling is the universal solution to everything.  :011:

I'm sure that something exists to address this situation, but that's why I came here first.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline telemarv

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:27 AM »
I understand Ed.  I'll try calling my local guy again today.  I know he'll ask me, so if we provide power over the Cat6, is wireless an option for the video feed?

Sadly I had an ace guru until a few weeks ago, but had to cut ties with him when he left us twisting in the wind on a job.  I'm really tired of this declining work ethic epidemic.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »
Marv's idea got me thinking about our IP cameras:

How about stealing pairs from the door strike for a regular audio doorbox and then install an IP camera by itself--near the doorbox, using that CAT6 andhook up the cable to an inexpensive switch--making it a separate part of the existing network.  You've got to provide power to the camera, whether through a POE injector or a POE switch.  I think the injector would be the cheapest.

We have 4 ip cameras on our network---the software comes with them so that you can watch it on any networked laptop or desktop.  We have it set up so that I can watch the cameras when I'm in Texas.  That's nice especially when it snows.
Retired Now

Online EV607797

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:15 PM »
That's what's so frustrating, Mick.  We ran another CAT6 cable to a camera above the door area and it is working fine.  The problem is that the security department's people are the only ones who are privileged to this feed.  The customer wants a simple video display of the person at the door for their own access purposes.  I just don't see why this should be a big deal, but I'm finding out that maybe it is.

Wireless is out of the question.  The building is a steel-framed fortress.  We're already having a hard time getting a few of their access points to work.  The front desk and this door are separated by way too much distance based upon the wireless issues we are already experiencing.  This is truly the job from hell.

Oh, and we are getting ready to start phase 3 with the full gut/remodel of another building.  I can hardly wait.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com