Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Component video question  (Read 2100 times)

Offline EV607797

Component video question
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
I couldn't find a category that pertains to video issues, so I figured that I would start here.  I've been approached by a restaurant to repair a faulty component video cable connection to a flat screen TV.  At some point, a yokel cut off the connectors that the original installers had put on the cable.  This guy took three one foot pieces of RG59 and put F connectors with phono (RCA) adapters on one end.  He then wire nutted them to the original component cable's red, green and blue ones.

The original cables are typical black jacketed PVC with what appears to be fairly small inner red, green and blue coax cables.  They look like they may be RG58 or even smaller.  The original installer used nice RCA connectors that just had a hole in the back where the unstripped cable is pushed in.  I am assuming that there is a center pin inside that aligns with the dielectric's center to touch the center conductor.  There is then a small set screw in the side with a point that apparently secures the cable in place and pierces the coaxial shield.

Because these cables are so much smaller than what I'm used to working with, I'm hoping to find these same connectors.  Has anybody heard or seen what I'm trying to describe?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online silversam

Re: Component video question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
Ed -

I went digging around and found RCA to F adapters, but not the other way. I assume there's a good reason you just can't change out the cable?

Sam

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
Ed if there is an Anixter in your area, that's likely where I'd go first.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online ttech

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »