Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fonality Trixbox Pro Dial Plans  (Read 4820 times)

Offline MWAngel

Fonality Trixbox Pro Dial Plans
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
Hi There,

I am an IT guy with 2 years of experience as a Telco installer and have recently started administering our company's phone system.  We have a TrixBox Pro from Fonality that we are using with 8 "analog" lines provided by our local cable company.  I have set it up so that we can just pick up a handset and dial a number (long distance included) without dialing a 9 to get out or a 1.  This seems to work for any number I have tried so far with the exception of local numbers.  Our area code for Tulsa is 918 and it has to be dialed for all calls.  Yesterday I tried to call a 840 number and was having an issue, so I added another dial plan that seemed to do the trick, but I am still unable to make local 918 calls without dialing the 9 to get out.  I have considered changing the prefix to 8 or some other number because I'm sure the issue has to do with the dial plans, but I imagine that would just duplicate my problem for some other area code that I would have to fix later.  Its not a big deal, I've got everyone in our small company educated on it so they don't complain about having to dial 9, but it is something I would like to understand and be able to change.  I would really appreciate any help with this.  If there is something I left out that would help you help me just let me know.  I'm new to the forums here and to phone systems.  Thanks in advance!

Mike

Online Keighlar

Re: Fonality Trixbox Pro Dial Plans
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
Those must be some complex dial plans, using all available digits - which will also cause a lag in extension dialing if you're not using HUD. What does your local dial plan look like?
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline MWAngel

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
The one at the top of the list is the one we are using now for local, the one at the bottom is the one I added yesterday and the two in the middle were default, but I think I may have tweaked them a little.  This was something I started working on months ago and then I got busy with other things.  I've only recently come back to this so its hard to remember what I've tried already.  By the way, thanks for the reply!

Mike

Online Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
I'm still not clear on how you have users NOT dialing the 9 without altering the cfg files, but try:
9 + 918nxxxxxx
Strip 1

I'm not sure how far down your dial plan list this is, but it's possible the dialed number is matching another entry in the dial table before getting to yours.  The entry above is a more specific match.  If you're able to watch the asterisk logs, that may give you a clue as to what's happening.

/var/log/asterisk/messages
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline MWAngel

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
When I was trying to set that up I added the 9+nxxnxxxxxx dial plan and I guess it did the trick.  I haven't seen any way to change the order of the plans.  I added the one that you mentioned and tested it, but still no luck.  I have never been into the log files on the box, but that might be the next step.  This screen shot of my plans is after I added the entry you mentioned and you can see that it just threw it in there instead of putting it at the top or the bottom.  The top 4 were there by default as were the last 2.  The biggest reason I want to get this set up is so we can drag and drop calls to mobile numbers for our employees.  Right now if a user sets themselves to mobile in the HUD and then we transfer a call to that user it works without issue.  However, if you just try to drag a call to an employee's mobile in the HUD the caller hears a message that says the call cannot be completed.  And of course people are a little bit spoiled by not having to dial 9 for any other numbers and they would like to be able to do the same for local calls.  And once again, thanks for your help.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
At this point the logs really will be very helpful.  I would remove the prepend 1000 on the first local dial string, and the 9+n. bothers me a little because of how broad the scope is.  Basically, it's 9 plus any number that doesn't start with a 1 or a 0... add a 1. That encompasses a lot of dialing.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but I would put in a call to tech support at this point.  I've also found that sometimes even though your Dial Plan is FINE... HUD will have separate issues that only Tech Support can get to unless you're very familiar with linux and asterisk.   I have a customer that we recently upgraded and they could dial out just fine, but when they clicked on the mobile icon in HUD, the call would not connect unless the user prepended the 518.  It took me three calls and three different support agents to get that fixed, which sounds eerily like what you're experiencing.  I still don't know what the answer was because Tech Support never clarified it for me.

Good luck, Mike.  I hope you get it figured out or someone else pipes in that's a bit more familiar with the behind-the-scenes cfg files.
Dr Seuss

Offline MWAngel

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
I think I'll give those suggestions a try and then maybe bite the bullet and call tech support.  I'm always hesitant to do that because no matter the problem they always want to troubleshoot my firewall.  And of course, by the end of the call you're always left wondering exactly what the problem was.  I've had better luck working with support for Trixbox then for their hosted solution, but I still cringe every time I dial their number.  But I do appreciate you looking at for me.  I thought maybe I had something glaringly obvious wrong that might be easy to fix.  Well thanks again!

Mike

Online Keighlar

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
I've had better luck working with support for Trixbox then for their hosted solution, but I still cringe every time I dial their number. 

I feel your pain.  It's the most frustrating tech support team I've ever had to work with.  :035:

I wish I could have been more help, and good luck!
Dr Seuss

Offline MWAngel

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
Well I finally figured it out!  I thought I would post the solution in case you were curious.  This is the dial plan that I added to the system and now I can dial local 918 area code numbers without dialing a 9.  So transfers directly to user's mobile phones work like a charm!

Online Keighlar

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
Good detective work!   :054:
Dr Seuss