Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Standard Wiring?  (Read 4371 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
Standard Wiring?
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »
Greetings Friends, Again looking for feedback. I went from being a one-man show for 10 years to working for a relatively large company.
Years ago when I was taught to cross connect a key system to peripheral hardware; you always bring your cross-connects from the top and you always leave a drip loop adjacent the block. I have always assumed this was an unwritten standard as most systems I have seen were more or
less done this way. Now I'm the old man, working with young men half my age. Apparently they have been taught that your cross-connects
should be tight for a more attractive backboard. It drives me because you can't even remove or trace the pairs due to tightness between blocks.
Their reasoning: if it's done right you should never have to mess with the jumpers anyway. That has not been my experience. What ya got
to say about that?

Happy Trails!! :008:
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online silversam

Re: Standard Wiring?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
You're right.

They're wrong.

No need to say any more.

Sam

Offline telemarv

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Always a service loop period. No matter what cross connect system. 66, BIX, AT&T
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline KLD

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
What they said....... :066:
Ken passed away on November 9, 2016, and will always be remembered.
Thank you, Ken for all your years of being a moderator, member, inspiration, and friend to all.

Anyone who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of them; better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford

Ken

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
Damn kids...  :011:
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline Skip555

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
I hate having to do service work on "Banjoe string backboards " leave a service loop

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
Their reasoning: if it's done right you should never have to mess with the jumpers anyway.

How do they figure that?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
I guess the reasoning behind something called a "drip loop" eludes them.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
We put "drip loops" outside and "service loops" inside---on the MDFs and IDFs.  The youngsters are wrong. Sure haven't done many in the last 5 years.  Next month we'll be wiring an apartment building.  Get to put in 66m blocks and brackets.  The first ones we've installed in many years. 
Retired Now

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
We put "drip loops" outside and "service loops" inside

My bad Mick.  As usual you are correct.   :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
I very much appreciate the feedback; be well!! :066:
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Offline EV607797

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
"A more attractive backboard".

That is funny.  I haven't seen a professionally laid out backboard in decades (except ones that I do, of course).   :066:

I know that I sound like a broken record on this subject, but unless a field is laid out using Bell System Standards with modular backboards, it will never be right.  Those people spent a lot of money figuring out how to make it work the right way with zero thought process after the fact.  A LOT of money.

With a BSP-designed MDF or IDF, it is just about impossible to end up with jumpers placed without them falling perfectly into proper position.

PS:  The next fool that I see punching a 50 pair cable down on opposite sides of an M1-50 block is going to get a kick in the sack from me.  So wrong.

Take a look here for more information on what I'm talking about:  http://bellsystempractices.org/500-/518-/518-010-101-i02_1976-03-01.pdf

Skip to page 13 for the meat of the subject.  This is an old document, so the references to "88" blocks are actually today's "110" block system.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
While at a Bell operation company the rule for cross connections was; 4 inches of wire past the pin for the size of the loop.  If you made "tight" cross connections you where called a "piano tuner".   :066:  You can't trace tight cross connections!  

However, part of the problem with old Bell System standards has to do with them being (at one time) a regulated monopoly. A lot of excess standards existed so as not to drop service rates as other areas became more efficient (follow the money).  While it looked great and was a pleasure to work on you cannot do this today and stay competitive.    
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
"A more attractive backboard".

PS:  The next fool that I see punching a 50 pair cable down on opposite sides of an M1-50 block is going to get a kick in the sack from me.  So wrong.

Ed, can you elaborate on this please?
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Online silversam

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
Jeff -

If I can step in for Ed, I believe he means that when you cut down a 50 pair cable you punch it down on ONE SIDE of two blocks (i.e. the left side or the right side - but the same side of two blocks, one stacked on top of the other.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sam

Online Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »
That's the way I'd do it Sam.
I was in a 5 yr old hospital out building today trouble shooting bad pairs on a 100 pr feed cable. Buried riser cable in PVC pipe. I found the cable pulled so tight, and punched on 2 blocks, at the pairs were pulling off the pins as things settled. No slack to redo it. This will b a project.
Reliable Telephone Service

Online Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
That not at!
Reliable Telephone Service