Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone ever seen any 0U wire management stuff for enclosed data center racks?  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
So I'm going down a roll-out for some new high-density servers and looking at trying to implement some better cable management. The basic requirements are:

1) Must fit inside 19" enclosed rack
2) Must mount to the back plate of the cabinet
3) Easy to connect/disconnect in case I need to pull a server blade out

I have not really been able to find anything and ended up doing an 'organized' bundle and yes I use that term loosely. Each server has three ethernet cables, 2 for network and 1 for management. Yellow and Blue are network and Green is management. This means that there are 3 switches being used for every 6 servers chassis (8-nodes/blades per chassis). This gives me a total of 144 cables in 21U of space with half going up and half going down.

Currently I have a sort of 'organized' bundle that runs behind the servers. The cables are all made up of 2' and 3' runs that are velcro-strapped into a trunk to support each other before running up/down like a tree with branches. It's loose enough that I can pop the velcro off and re-cable or pull out a server blade without issue. The bundle itself is somewhat heavy so I was thinking of possibly getting a few j-hooks and a bungee cord to support the weight. Since that's not exactly the most professional looking thing in the world I have been trying to find something else for cable organization.

If anyone has any idea's I'd love to hear them. Using cable organizers that mount into the rack itself and prevent the use of a U are not an option as each U not used for a device that directly correlates to services costs me too much money each month in both over-head and lost revenue. In fact I almost went with an option that was 3-times as dense, meaning there were 24 servers per chassis as opposed to 8. Unfortunately it was not as easily serviceable. I still might split the difference and go with a 12-node per chassis version which would be 4 chassis' per group of 3 switches.

Here's a picture of the current set-up as described:
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline telemarv

I've never seen any vertical management for enclosed cabinets. When I was at Mitel building their server room (18 enclosed cabinets like the one you have pictured), We put the switches, two 48 ports, at the top with a horizontal management between them. We ran 5 and 7 foot cords through the management and the down inside the columns on the left and right sides. I'll see if I can find the pictures I took.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
Have you looked at any of the products from Middle Atlantic...?

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/vertical-cable-management.aspx
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
Have you looked at any of the products from Middle Atlantic...?

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/vertical-cable-management.aspx

I've never seen those Marc, but I like them! Good call. I was thinking outer rack magnetic attachments. we've used these under trailers before, when J-Hooks and racks were way too time consuming to be cost effective.

http://www.garvinindustries.com/hanging-and-support/low-voltage-and-data-cables/magnetic-wire-and-cable-holder
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
The thing I forgot to mention is that the rack is only half full. When the bottom half is also fully populated there will be four 208v/30a vertical PDU's in the back. Currently there are only two which are pictured. The tripplite PDU was a temporary circuit and has been removed.

Marc: I looked at the vertical cable tray thing that you linked too but it had to mount where my PDUs will be going. I was thinking of putting hinges or something on it to mount to the back server rail but decided there wasn't enough room for something like that.

Marv: I was planning to do that initially but thought that 144 cables or two bundles of 72 (one on each side of the rack) would prevent me from changing power supplies or the outer blades in the chassis at the top. In my old rack deployment I did something very similar to that. Instead of having the switch at the top I put it in the center of the rack. This made the cable lengths smaller and resulted in a smaller bundle. Since that rack layout only had a total of 70 cables, half up and half down, I was able to split the 35 running up into left side and right side. It was actually more like 34 up 36 down because of the spacing of the equipment. I lost a U to the fan on the top of the rack. So my largest bundle that had to work in the small space between the outside panel and the rack frame was 18 cables. Actually used the handle on the ears of the server for the cable organization. Unfortunately I have no such luck on these new ones.

Tony: Those look promising. I'll order a few and see how well they hold and where they could fit. I think I can clip them onto the rear rail since it's essentially a piece of stamped angle iron/steel. If that works I owe you a beer or two!

Let me know if you all think of anything else. I'm constantly on the look out for good ideas :)
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
I've never seen those Marc, but I like them! Good call.

We use them in the racks at radio stations all the time. They are a bit pricey, but nothing from Middle Atlantic is cheap.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.burkhartinc.com
sorry, that was a different link (same product) but here's the manufacturers' site http://www.magdaddyusa.com/products.php
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Burkhart Inc.
www.burkhartinc.com