Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carrier or CPE issue?  (Read 6396 times)

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
Carrier or CPE issue?
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
I've seen this problem before and was told it was a "porting" issue within the calling party carrier.
I also recall this as possibly being some kind of a "broadcast" issue.
I have a client in 708 area code who is getting emails, (sometimes cell calls) from his clients and vendors stating that
when they call the companies main number it just rings and rings.
I checked it out today and actually seen it happen with two of his customers.
One from FL. area code 305 and one from Rockford IL. area code 815.
I had both on my cell when they called, they swear they are dialing the correct number and I heard the ringing on their
end.
I had my buttset at the D-marc and nothing on my end, no ringing and I can even get dialtone.
All of the CO lines ID as the correct number, the rollover is working fine.
My clients 6 pots lines are all AT&T and they claim it's nothing in their equipment that it has to be the calling parties LEC.
I thought I'd throw it out you guys and gals.
Tony, any thoughts?
-----------------------------------
Thanks, G

Online EV607797

Re: Carrier or CPE issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
This happens more often than you think.  Of course, nobody ever wants to accept responsibility for it.  I am convinced that it is a matter of routing through a toll switch associated with the call.  I will admit that I've only seen one documented case of a toll office being the culprit (MarkK had one in PA a few years back). 

The problem is that it isn't the end office (your end) that has the issue.  If that was the case, the problem would be easy to fix.  It has to do with the caller's service provider and how they route their calls.  It gets even more complicated when they are served by a CLEC or cellular carrier that might sub contract their toll traffic through another carrier.

The only thing that I can recommend is that you have test calls made from 305 using various service providers and narrow it down that way.  It is a pain, but these problems will only get resolved if you do the legwork.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
The short answer is I think Ed is on point and you'll have to initiate the fix from the distal LEC.

I have a friend out in East Texas who put in a paging service years ago, and he ran into this type of issue several times apparently because the block of numbers he was using were from a new exchange.  One day I called one of his pagers and couldn't get through to it, so I gave him a call.  He said he'd fought this many times and the only way he had been able to get it resolved was for me to call my phone company.  (I think he said something about the exchange wasn't mapped at our switch)  Trying to get resolution through his end was useless because all of their obligations were working.  On my end however I could show that when I called from my cell, I could get through to the number and it worked.  However the line I was paying for through my LEC was unable to complete the call to a working line. 

It was actually easier than I would have thought.  They had it up and working within the day.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
Keep in mind that calls from cell phones are routed one layer higher than those originated from end offices (typically land lines).  Cell calls pretty much head straight to a toll office, so the myriad of end office issues are eliminated.  The same applies to calls when using a PRI.  The only real way to narrow this down is more than likely to weed out the end office(s) that are the culprits.  I see this happening with CATV dial tone providers more than any others since they are rookies in this business.

Fortunately, these problems eventually fix themselves since databases associated with the NANPA get updated constantly.  Sometimes, the problems weren't even known, but they get fixed in the next update.  Nobody, I mean nobody will ever admit that there was one particular NPA/NXX missed in the routing in one particular distant office.  The proverbial needle in a hay stack.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »
We run into this all the time with Pennsylvania and Ohio. Their switches are just all kinds of jacked up. Get Foghorns and euro-tone bells or get re-routed to canada somewhere. The current rage is the '844' toll-free numbers which carriers haven't added yet. We've gotten a good rash of calls lately about how they can't call them and we just tell them to call their carrier.

Your only real fix it to talk the guy originating the call (terminating to the PSTN, I love how those terms aren't intuitive) to call his carrier and make a complaint.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:27:10 AM »
"Your only real fix it to talk the guy originating the call (terminating to the PSTN, I love how those terms aren't intuitive) to call his carrier and make a complaint."

That's exactly what we/I did. I also found out there were quite a few other numbers they had trouble
calling AND they were on Comcast. LOL
Nonetheless, it all seems OK now.  :066:

Offline genesis

• Technician
    • Genesis Communications
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
I feel your pain as i'm in the middle of this right now and of course it's a doctors office.  Customer switched to SIP trunking, ALL calls originating from Rochester LEC are RNA.  SIP provider in this case opened CLEC to LEC ticket, LEC said problem was fixed after they cleared translations from switch but it's still not working. 

This is going on week 2 where patients cannot call into the doctors office.
Samsung

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:16:47 AM »
If you want to verify a routing issue have the calling party dial the same number using a different PIC code. They might want to try a couple because some LD carriers are using other LD carriers for routing traffic. The calling party can also call their LD carrier to ask to be moved to a premium route at no cost to the customer.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring