Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Time Warner Cable Arris MoDem Battery Backup  (Read 6268 times)

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Time Warner Cable Arris MoDem Battery Backup
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
just an open question to anyone who may know.

Have a client call, with request to verify their alarm line is working. Go on site and find the dial-tone working fine at the TWC Arris MoDem, at the alarm input and at the alarm output to the fax machine. Client states that the alarm was in a panic mode the other day because of the line being out and inquired about putting a battery backup on the TWC device. I replied "shouldn't have to, they come with them built in... pop the bottom cover and no battery. I stated "that's gonna be a TWC problem" and will get them on the horn to see if they can have a tech drop one in.

My question is:

Is this required by them to install and test those, or is it up to the installers discretion during installation?

This is the first time I've seen one installed without the battery backup.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline Skip555

Re: Time Warner Cable Arris MoDem Battery Backup
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
The last time I had a verizon FiOS install they said the battery w
asn't a warranty item and that the customer was responsible for it. 
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
Per E911 requirements telephone POTS service is supposed to remain operable for at least 90 minutes in the event of a power failure. So yeah, get those butt heads back with a battery. I can see it if it was only a data modem.

The last time I had a Verizon FiOS install they said the battery wasn't a warranty item and that the customer was responsible for it.

What do you expect from Verizon? But they are required to install backup initially.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
Hal,

I *think* that only applies to the LEC. If it's a CLEC or VoIP provider, they aren't held to the same requirements. Something to do with Government Regulations. Go figure... the government got something wrong.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online silversam

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
Verizon FIOS installs a backup battery with the initial install. When it dies, it's the customer's responsibility to replace it. The batteries are a standard 12v model that most alarm systems use. They are readily available, easily installable ( even by the average consumer) and inexpensive.

They also provide at least 6 hours of backup telephone service.

Sam

Online liquidvw

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
Got a call several weeks from Comcast saying they want to replace my cable modem with a new one.  So I goto the web site enter my information and a week later the modem arrives with a self install kit.  New cable modem has no battery in it.  Read the docs that came with it and they say "a battery backup and battery monitoring are not provided free of charge to xfinity voice customers....".   

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/getting-a-new-battery/

:046: Comcast. 

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »
Comcast nickels and dimes their subscribers to death. Another one- "you want cable service? OK but it will be extra per TV for hi def".

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music