Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ComSwitch 3500  (Read 4810 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
ComSwitch 3500
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
Didn't know wheather to post this under NEC or here???? Anyhow; Got a call yesterday about a fax not working. Come to find out that between the ksu and the fax this cat has a ComSwitch 3500.

I have never used one of these fax switches/modems or whatever they call them. I guess I don't get the purpose. I've always hooked the fax up as an analog ext. or set the ring # of the fax to 1/2 rings to grab the call asap when utilizing the fax # as an extra line. Fill me in folks! Confused again. :022:

Stacey; if your reading this, doesn't the DS2000 have fax detection? I was thinking it did, although my memory doesn't work like it once did. :008:
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online Skip555

Re: ComSwitch 3500
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
the comswitch is hooked up wrong , line should come to comswitch then out to the phone and then the fax

the ds2000 wouldn't have fax detection that would be a intra mail function  and yes intra mail does fax detection
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online Keighlar

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »
If I remember correctly (and for once, I'm sure I do :066:), the fax detection used with the Intramail and the DS series was not very reliable at all.  It got to the point where we just turned it off in programming and did not even talk about that option.  If the customer wanted to share a fax line, we put a STICK in-line and let it do its job.  Ended up with far fewer headaches.   :011:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online Skip555

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »
thats what I 've always done too , Stacy
Skip

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
But the Stick goes in the line BEFORE the system, not how it is now.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
Thanks Folks, Does this "stick" hear fax tones then direct call to the fax? I don't know how I've not used or came across this in the past. I've removed them in the process of replacing a system; just never had a need to install one. Like I said above, don't see the purpose. Am I right in assuming that it prevents customer from answering before the fax picks up? They've gotta be cheaper than an analog station card. The process continues :022:

Too bad you can't have cocktails delivered like flowers; I'd send ya all an afternoon beverage :011: Peace!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online Skip555

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
line sharing devices  ,the stick , commshare etc all work basically the same , they answer the call listen for the CNG /fax tone if the switch hears it it routes the call to the fax port if not it goes to the voice port . the caller can also manually route it on the stick a *2 sends either the incoming call or a answered call to the fax port .

the stick also has modem ports and *3 sends the call there

if properly installed the call goes directly to the FAX and the customer never hears a ring on the phones it also busy s the port out so the phone cant pick up on a fax and a fax can't be sent if someone is on the line

the Stick works very well and the purpose is to seamlessly route calls and allow the customer to share the fax line between the phone and fax or to allow a modem to share the line
Skip

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
Thank You Skip!! By the way Skip, I know your a fellow blueshound; about a week ago I saw a gal named Kelly Hunt at a fundraiser here that tours frequently. She played with Mike Finnigan for some time. If she ever gets to your area, it's a "must-see!" Escalator!!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online Skip555

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
thanks Jeff I'll watch out for her . the name is familiar and I think I saw her at a local blues club a couple of years ago
Skip

Offline bluzman

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »
Greetings Friends, Just wanted to post that I installed that "Stick" yesterday. Worked great, although I was awaiting a fax from our office to test, watching the phone for BLF on fax line. Never lit up. Had the office send a second fax, thinking that the lamp would lite while receiving fax. As mentioned above, seamless. The previous fax switch lit the BLF on phone when receiving a Fax.

Thanks again folks; y'all rock!
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online MooreTel

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
Thed only prfoblem that they ALL have is passing CLID without making the phones ring a couple of times before the switch takes over.   :019:
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online Skip555

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
Thed only prfoblem that they ALL have is passing CLID without making the phones ring a couple of times before the switch takes over.   :019:

just put a ring delay on the line same as you would with any CID line
Skip

Online MooreTel

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Not always possible...
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.