Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting but oh so wrong  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
Interesting but oh so wrong
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
I read this posted on another so called tech board:

- ask/demand the seller to provide "installer password" or send it back, then purchasing from someone who can properly default the switch

- ESI won't "typically" reset anything on which you aren't shown as the owner on "their" records

- they, (ESI) if they get involved at all, (from someone who isn't a dealer) are going to have to have some kind of assurance from the original dealer that there is no outstanding balance owed on that cabinet, yes, even an E-Class

- I will say, the E-Class was one of their most reliable KSU's and my personal favorite when it comes to reliability

- we still service them (ESI systems) in our area - many ESI systems were abandoned by other vendors here - sometimes it's difficult to become the "vendor of record" so to speak - I can't imagine how hard it might be for an uncertified "individual"

- as suggested, I'd also recommend, you find a local dealer to assist you in this matter if you're keeping that particular cabinet

Pretty much a bunch of hogwash. I'm not saying the guy is dumb or anything derogatory. I do wish he would join us so I could help him out.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline djevanstn

Re: Interesting but oh so wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »
Grider . . .

If you're referring to me, except for your apparent services, this is true.

But, I did come over to take a "look see."

Don . . .

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »
Welcome Don :054: Like I said in the invitation, I owe you a freebie. I think you'll find a knowledgeable group here that have a proven history of knowing what they are talking about and are willing to get to the point when it comes to Tech-to-Tech information. You won't see any information that leans toward the sales of the sponsors product. There isn't a sponsor with stuff to get rid of.

As far as this subject is concerned, yes the buyer should return the product or demand the installer password. The only problem is he bought it on ebay and the ebay sellers are not well known for refunds or technical knowledge. That is the price you pay for as the poster said, "a great deal."

ESI Tech Support does have the ability to reset passwords but the criteria they use to do so is to generate future sales of their line of products. They are not in business to support used products purchased on ebay and you can't blame them for that.

As you previously stated, there are many ESI systems out there that have been abandoned by the original vendor of record. If you have a potential customer with an ESI system and you are in good standing as an ESI Reseller then you got it made, conduct business.

If you are a knowledgeable ESI technician and you have a potential customer but you don't have access to ESI Tech Support because you dropped them in favor of another product line, that is when you have to seek assistance elsewhere.

It is just a device, it works a certain way. :048:
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline djevanstn

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:14:16 AM »
We dropped ESI, at least,  2 to 3 years ago - Fortunately, we "ALWAYS" purchased the extended warranty with EVERY system whether the customer did or not.  So, many time over, we have "had a return" with regard to this policy, (both fortunately and unfortunately)

Many of our systems are still under warranty, we still support all of our customers, and any company or home owner who contacts us with an issue.  We also still expand most ESI customers.  Those customers that have had severe issues, (assuming they still communicate with us) we will offer them NEC systems at a VERY reduced price in an effort to keep them in the proverbial fold.

That said, they (ESI) have been, BY FAR, the most accommodating manufacturer we've worked with.  They go to nearly any length to stop / solve any remaining or on-going issues. 

Change of subject.  I have reviewed this forum.  Since we are solidly an NEC shop now, I took a careful "look-see" there.  That area could use some more activity.  I'll keep checking back though ...

We started out as a Panasonic DBS shop.  We then went with ESI when they (Panasonic) dropped out of the US market.  We were with ESI for a very long time and have a lot of very skilled techs.  Most  of the issues we have are with the "factory only" areas.  The restrictions there are a constant source of irritations and when they have to "poke" values in the firmware, I almost "lose it ." :) (and not to mention that "cottin pickin" programmer they use)

Anyway,  that's the summary!  :)