Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Harris-Dracon Test Set (TS22) Repair?  (Read 21912 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

Harris-Dracon Test Set (TS22) Repair?
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
Does anyone know of a reliable source to get one reparied these days? I don't need it too often these days but it would be nice to get it fixed for a reasonable price. I have a Fluke that gets me by but it's nowhere near the quality of the old HD. I spent an hour recently toning a pair out and without the speaker my neck was killing me by the time I located the tone. :(
There was so much AC current in the room an amplifer was useless.

Offline EV607797

Re: Harris-Dracon Test Set (TS22) Repair?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
I did a search across the street and found this to be the most recent commo since www.ButtSetRepair.com seems to be out of business.  Hope that it helps, Bobby:

Posted by Z-man (Member # 625) on June 13, 2012 01:27 AM:

After many many years of faithful service, so many I don't even know, thinking maybe 15?? My TS-22A is on the fritz. The "0" on the key pad appears to be worn out! I know it might not be worth fixing, but i have grown attached to it. Anyone know a good source to get a keypad or repair?

Posted by dexman (Member # 7900) on June 13, 2012 08:22 AM:

Fluke & Sandman might have some ideas. Mohawk LTD offers buttset repair services....

http://www.mohawkltd.com/repair_services/repair_line_card.php?id=429

If all else fails....retire & replace. [Smile]

Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Skip555

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:10:04 AM »
I've just gone to eBay and replaced them when they went bad .

what problem are you having ? could it be the internal battery ?

do you use a filter probe for tone  ?   Mine does a great job of muting the AC

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-200FP-Filter-Tone-Probe/dp/B001UKVT1I
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I've got a HD that I need to ship off too.  The speaker was working fine when I put it back in the truck, and the next time I tried to use it...fubar.  :035:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline anthonyh

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
I have the same probe as Skip...works really well
...Please don't touch that

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
Thanks all.
I guess I don't know about filter amps. 
I just wanted the old HD repaired, I've never considered ebay. I guess that may be as cheap as getting one repaired.

The problem is 1, sometimes there is no sound what-so-ever from the test set period. I have replaced the 9 volt battery with no results. 2. Sometimes I get a loud squeel when I can hear anything unless I hold my finger on one of the leads,,,,, works real good untill I hit ringing current! It's just broke.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »
There is a button battery in the encapsulant gel that needs to be removed and replaced. It ain't easy but can be done with an exacto knife and soldering iron.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »
I realize this is an antique thread and we don't usually pry them open again but in this case I think it's OK.

I found the old TS-22 in a box last night while I was looking for some other old equipment. I installed a new 9 volt battery in it just for the hell of it and it worked like a brand new one.  :003:

I don't know for how long but.....

I took it apart and I never could locate an encapsulated battery anywhere that Dave mentioned. I watched a few youtube videos and the closest I could find showed a guy had replaced a battery where my ringer is. I think there were more than one versions of mother boards so perhaps I'm not looking in the correct place.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Went through that awhile back for somebody on one of these boards. Seems there are a bunch of iterations of that model. I think your battery might be under the piezo ringer, but as long as it's working leave well enough alone.

There's currently a guy over on the other board having a problem with the speaker volume button not working properly after replacing the 3V battery. He's looking for a schematic and information on an unmarked chip. Good luck with that.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
I think good luck is right Hal. Years ago I had a dial pad acting crazy on a test set and I contacted the manufacturer regarding purchasing a new one the they pretty much refused to sell me the part to repair it.