Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comcast vs. Traditional  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
Comcast vs. Traditional
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
The Setup

1 ESI S-Class with 17 48K phones. 5 incoming CO lines all in hunt group. 9 of the 17 phones dedicated to ring if call is incoming. System installed 3 years ago, originally with service provider being AT&T.

The Problem

When a call comes in usually ext 100 takes the call even though several others ring. If another call comes in the DSS line keys light up and blink (as they should) but there in NOT an audible sound. The call can be answered if it is visually noticed. The second call is usually on lines 2-5 however, a direct call to lines 2-5 produce the expected ring complete with sound. To make this even nastier to solve this scenario never was present with AT&T but now it has become common since Comcast became the service provider.

So here is my train of thought. :022:

When the original call comes in the Comcast magic little box provides ring voltage to the specified port but if a second call comes in shortly there after the Comcast box has already shot its wad (as far as ring voltage) but does have enough umph to create "off hook" visually.

It gets worse! The customer has been solving this pain in the ass by resetting the ESI system regularly or when the problem is noticed. This does do the trick but it is a false cure. The reset takes about 5 minutes and I speculate that the time frame is only creating recharge time for the weak as component inside the Comcast box.

Miscellaneous Info to add:

System was replaced when problem first occurred. No change!
Comcast replaced their box with another. No change!
Same problem exists across town with ESI 20 using cheaper Comcast service. (Shit worked fine prior to cutover)

Tomorrow I am going to the site and set up voltmeter on line and take several readings on line 1. Then i'll set up on line 2 and when it happens I'll have some facts to work with.

I would also entertain any ideas you friends of mine have. I gotta get on the other side of this BS.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline Steve Mull

• Raptor Technologies Toshiba & ESI Dealers
Re: Comcast vs. Traditional
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
Have you tested your ring voltage thought from the Comcast box ? Will it ring a test set. I see now that you plan on testing tomorrow. sounds like your on the right track John
Steve Mull
Raptor Technologies
Toshiba & ESI Dealers
865-588-8441

Offline Grider

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
All 5 lines at 72 volts for every call I tested or monitored. ESI TS says the system is designed to expect between 70 & 90 volts.

Before I went to location I took a reading from home and received 105 volts during incoming ring. Does that sound hi? I'm wondering if my meter is off.

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
    • Voice, Video, Unified Communication and Healthcare Solutions Ocala, Gainesville and all of Central Florida
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »
Can you ring a 2500 set?
Steve Lane, MCSE

Voice, Video, Data and Managed IT Solutions
featuring ESI, Cisco, Avaya, Ascom, Dell and Microsoft.

Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville and all of Central Florida
Licensed and Insured - ES12000683

www.CentralFloridaPhones.com
www.ESIphoneSystems.com

Offline Grider

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
Can you ring a 2500 set?

Yes, a 2500 will ring with the 72V.  I did it today. Now when the problem scenario presents itself I don't know. I tried to create the problem today but it never came and until it is present and I am there at the same time to analyze I can't be certain the transmit will fail at the ESI and succeed with a 2500?

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
    • Voice, Video, Unified Communication and Healthcare Solutions Ocala, Gainesville and all of Central Florida
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Nothing like an intermittent analog line problem to make your day.
Steve Lane, MCSE

Voice, Video, Data and Managed IT Solutions
featuring ESI, Cisco, Avaya, Ascom, Dell and Microsoft.

Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville and all of Central Florida
Licensed and Insured - ES12000683

www.CentralFloridaPhones.com
www.ESIphoneSystems.com

Offline MnDave

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Pretend phone companies make life unnecessarily harder for us, don't they? It would be interesting if you had something like a Viking PA2A that you could install temporarily and wire the small horn to a spare pair at or by, x100. Granted, it would take about 1/2 hour to set up but at least you wouldn't have to wait around hoping for the problem to occur. I suggest this idea since it would put a 2nd device into the equation and if the Comcast ATA is any good at all, it should be able to ring at least two or three 2500 sets or their equivalent. If the horn failed to sound, that would give you some ammunition. If the horn sounded and the system didn't, then perhaps one of the Viking RG10A ring boosters would be needed.