Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windmill  (Read 18331 times)

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
Windmill
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
I have wanted to build a windmill for a few years now and my local friends have heard me talk about it so much that they desire I shut up and do it.

The windmill will be traditional in appearance but instead of operating a pump it will operate a generator, alternator or turbine. Depends on what you want to refer to it as. The generator will feed through a traditional residential electric meter and off to the magic grid for public consumption and also providing a small ROI in the form of a check.

Any and all questions or input is welcome.  :033:
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Windmill
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
The generator will feed through a traditional residential electric meter and off to the magic grid for public consumption and also providing a small ROI in the form of a check.

So this thing is not only going to provide all of your consumption but will have an excess that you will sell back to the power company? I only wish it were that easy. But then again it does remind me of a true story.

I did a service upgrade for a customer way back when I was doing that sort of thing. Because I had to file with the power company I asked him for a current bill so I could get his account number off of it. I was astonished to see that it was only $12 for the month when everybody else was paying upwards of $100 at that time. Once I got to know this guy a little better I found out why. He heads to work at around 8AM when it's light out and after work heads straight to the bar. He comes home at 1AM to sleep it off. Spends weekends either sleeping or at the bar. Keeps his heat at around 50 degrees, the alcohol keeps him warm.

Now if it were only windy here that guy would have it made.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Grider

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »
The generator will be connected to a meter alone. It isn't expected to produce an excess above consumption. I do expect it to produce something above 1 Kilowatt Hour which is fine. My goal is to build a starting point.

Online Skip555

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
was astonished to see that it was only $12 for the month when everybody else was paying upwards of $100 at that time. Once I got to know this guy a little better I found out why. He heads to work at around 8AM when it's light out and after work heads straight to the bar. He comes home at 1AM to sleep it off. Spends weekends either sleeping or at the bar. Keeps his heat at around 50 degrees, the alcohol keeps him warm.

bet his bar bill was more than 88 a month ....

interesting project John  , but top of my head I think you would need something very large to generate enough power to make much of a difference.
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
I've been looking at the wind generators at Northern Tool
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Grider

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
I think you would need something very large to generate enough power to make much of a difference.

Very true! I think of it like this. If the windmill is built and the generator generates then the goal has been accomplished. If I measure success in relation to something like living expenses then I'm definitely wasting my time but if it is measured in comparison to zero then any positive production is a success.

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

Too bad it's only 600-watts.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline KLD

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
 :022:  John, my neighbor has a unit that runs his house and he sells back to the utility......BUT.....he spends a lot of time with the unit on the ground being fixed.....too much Kansas wind...... :066:

You want more info?  Give me a call.....
Ken passed away on November 9, 2016, and will always be remembered.
Thank you, Ken for all your years of being a moderator, member, inspiration, and friend to all.

Anyone who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of them; better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford

Ken

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »

I know, that makes it nothing more than a toy. :016:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 01:44:20 AM »

I know, that makes it nothing more than a toy. :016:

I could see uses for it. I could see it coming in handy in remove camping sites or cabins. Down here it would be nice if you could set one up on some of the small islands/keys and power a radio for some tunes or maybe a few lights at night.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 06:20:57 AM »
I could see it coming in handy in remote camping sites or cabins.

Exactly.  I was thinking of building a get-a-way cabin in West Virginia.  All I need to do is recharge a couple of deep cycle marine batteries. You can get a lot of light out of a few 12 volt LED bulbs.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline silversam

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 07:57:54 AM »
600 watts could recharge a laptop, an iPod and a cell phone during the day and run the lights at night. Marine batteries in between. Works for me.

Sam

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Other then it might look kind of funny, having one on a mast you could bolt up to a travel trailer would be good too. Drive out in the middle of no where, set up the windmill to your deep cycles, and you are set. I'm sure it'd also be good on a sail boat assuming it could be stowed in a compacted form and put up easily enough.

Offline Grider

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
This subject still interests me so I thought I would revive it. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but I grew up in a part of the country where the wind blows all day every day. Did you know that when the water freezes up Niagra Falls the silence wakes up the locals. Where I come from if the wind ain't blowing it means something is really wrong.

So this thing is not only going to provide all of your consumption but will have an excess that you will sell back to the power company? I only wish it were that easy.

Yes Hal, it is pretty much that easy. The technology is basic and reliable. The investment is very reasonable. The complications (or hurdles to overcome) come into the equation when you connect to the grid.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Hey John:

I have no idea how much of this is snake oil, and how much is real, but with all the research you've done I thought this might be a reference resource for you.  I have to admit I'm intrigued.  He has obviously put a lot of time and money in creating the video and material.  

It's kind of a long winded presentation (and you can't pause it) so you might want to let it play in the background while you're at your desk working.  I wish I could draw like this guy. :011:

http://power4patriots.com/video/

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.