Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testimony of Mike Rowe  (Read 22167 times)

Offline liquidvw

Testimony of Mike Rowe
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »
A good read. 

link

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Testimony of Mike Rowe
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
A good read indeed! :054:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
Very well but Mike!
Gary Frisco

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »
So THAT is what he looks like in a suite and without a hat. I am shocked and amazed.

Ohh, and I agree. I know plenty people who are 150K in debt with some college degree who aren't employable because they cant/wont do manual labor. Let alone a skilled trade. But I guess if I spent all that money on a degree I would be holding out for a job like that too.

I've worked a lot of jobs so far. Been an inventory clerk, clean-room technician, electronics SMT assembly tech, Machinist, Mechanic, construction laborer, ditch digger, McDonalds "associate", Programmer, etc. My point being is that what I have never been is unemployed for more then 2 weeks.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
So THAT is what he looks like in a suite and without a hat.

He has been on the History Channel forever hosting a show called "The Most" always in a suit and tie.

McDonalds "associate",

Nobody has a plain title anymore, go to a Jiffy Lube and the head grease monkey is called a "Senior Certified Lubrication Technician" :022:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Personally I could care less what I'm called. Just make sure the checks keep coming. Always been my view of it.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:05:55 PM »
Personally I could care less what I'm called. Just make sure the checks keep coming. Always been my view of it.

:054:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

How many times have I said exactly that? Keep sending your sorry assed kids to college folks. All they learn is entitlement, laziness and attitude then wind up with a $150k loan that their mommy and daddy has to pay because they can't get a job because college grads are a dime a dozen.

Hopefully this depression has taught us a lesson. We can't live off of other people’s money or exploiting others and profiting from it. That's what college has produced and I’ll even go farther to say that it is largely responsible for the mess we are in.

I'm not particularly religious but I am reminded of Mark 11:15 and Jesus throwing out the money changers:

Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves.

That's what we have created, a generation of money changers whose only skill is making money for themselves any way they can. They should be despised today just as they were despised back in biblical times. We need to get back to basics, back to the 40's and 50's when getting your hands dirty and earning a respectable living was not something the "lower class" did.

Thanks Mike, I couldn’t have said it better!

-Hal 
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
Get on a ballot somewhere Hal....maybe you can get elected and run the money changers out of DC.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
We know the Donald isn't going to run for President, so maybe we can get Mike on the ballet.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
Keep sending your sorry assed kids to college folks. All they learn is entitlement, laziness and attitude then wind up with a $150k loan that their mommy and daddy has to pay because they can't get a job because college grads are a dime a dozen.

Exactly!  College is nothing but a big business anymore. Everyone thinks their kid just has to attend. We have a whole generation who is saddled with debt and no chance of a job. Well, no chance of a job they feel they are entitled too!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
Got a nephew who took up a construction degree, like to be a GC.  The kid doesn't know one end of the hammer from the other.  I talked to a local contractor to see if he could give him some hands on experience, at his mothers request.  The contractor was very willing to help him with his internship and willing to show him the ropes and pay him to boot.  Last I spoke to the contractor our nephew hadn't even called him yet.

They all want to be the boss, no one wants to learn how to actually do the job.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »
Heard a story yesterday on the way to work about students graduating with a 4 year degree and many had $65,000- $95,000 student loan debt. The jist of the story is that if you get an obscure unusable degree you won't stand a chance of paying off your loans...even with an MBA they are a dime a dozen and the starting wages(if you can find a job) are such that it's tough to pay off loans and maintain some quality of life. I know of a lady working in a restaurant as a server with a Masters in European Literature. She is now also working part time at an attorneys office as an intern and has gone back to school for a law degree. So far in debt I doubt she'll ever see the light of day.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
That's an amazing read and a hell of a testimony. Thank you for passing it on!

Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
They all want to be the boss, no one wants to learn how to actually do the job.

Yeah, that's one reason why I don't hire anyone younger then me. The second reason is they all think they get paid ridiculous money. The third is usually their attitude usually sucks.