Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testimony of Mike Rowe  (Read 22174 times)

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Testimony of Mike Rowe
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
I think there is a large amount of the US population that owe their job to technology.

That's one side of the coin. How about the jobs lost due to technology? We can start with the internet.

-Hal

That's one side of the coin. How about the jobs lost due to technology? We can start with the internet.

Such as..............?

How about, because the internet is unregulated and free:

•   Disseminating information that people use to make their living thereby depriving them of that income.
•   Providing a means for anybody to “publish” anything that others can easily find and take as fact and use against you.
•   Providing information that leads people to believe they are an expert on whatever subject they are looking for. “A little information is dangerous”.
•   Providing an inexpensive and a no-responsibility way for opportunists to sell goods and services, undercutting legitimate businesses and putting them out of business.

I would say that these items account for 99% of the problems service type businesses encounter today.

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
Dang, that is a lot to chew on. It sure is interesting subject matter to discuss. So much that I am having trouble deciding where to start.

"How about, because the internet is unregulated and free:"

Who is going to regulate and what are they gonna regulate?

•   Disseminating information that people use to make their living thereby depriving them of that income.
•   Providing a means for anybody to “publish” anything that others can easily find and take as fact and use against you.
•   Providing information that leads people to believe they are an expert on whatever subject they are looking for. “A little information is dangerous”.
•   Providing an inexpensive and a no-responsibility way for opportunists to sell goods and services, undercutting legitimate businesses and putting them out of business.

Will the same regulators be determining who is legit and who isn't.

I do believe you have a valid argument that the internet is the favorite medium for con artists but con artists have been around since Adam & Eve. In fact Adam was probably the first. Anyway, your legitimate grievance isn't with the internet but the cons that use it. In my opinion of course, I could be wrong.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2011, 08:35:57 AM »
"How about, because the internet is unregulated and free:"... Who is going to regulate and what are they gonna regulate?... Will the same regulators be determining who is legit and who isn't.

That's the million dollar question.

I do believe you have a valid argument that the internet is the favorite medium for con artists but con artists have been around since Adam & Eve. In fact Adam was probably the first. Anyway, your legitimate grievance isn't with the internet but the cons that use it.

I certainly agree that the con artists have found a way to operate that they only could dream about before the internet but I'm also just as much talking about the dissemination of information (and disinformation, even propaganda) that hurts businesses and trade.

Before the internet a person with a clogged drain would call a plumber. Now they Google "clogged drain" to see how to do it themselves.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »
...but con artists have been around since Adam & Eve. In fact Adam was probably the first.

Wouldn't that have been the serpant?  :015:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
I think the internet is a good topic.  I started a new thread so this one can get back to Mike Rowe and education. :003:

http://www.myphonetechs.com/index.php?topic=2064.0
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011, 08:56:02 PM »
To revive an old thread and back on topic I came across this eloquence over at another board in a reply to a question about why homeowners don't cut their own lawns.

More Americans today were "raised like veal" and more men capable of earning a decent living are "metrosexual" in outlook. That means breaking a sweat (except at the gym) is "yucky". You know, like a chick would find it.

I heard a guy on the radio today complaining about watching guys have a flat tire, stand around, sipping a latte', and wait for a real man to show up to change the flat for them. I agree. My wife changed a flat on her car and was late to work one day. The "men" in her office were shocked because they would have called AAA.

The stigma of doing it yourself is just too much for some people... It's the combination of a) feminization of men, b) physical laziness, and c) status seeking and the resultant peer pressure to look wealthy. Because the unspoken belief amongst many in America seems to be "if you're not rich, you're nothing".

-Hal

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
You are a catch-22 Hal. In one hand you say you need to be trained and qualified to DIY. And then on the other hand you say that as men we should all strive to DIY. You confuse me good sir! :)

I do hear the point you are trying to make though. There are plenty of people who think sweat is a sign of destitution.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
You are a catch-22 Hal. In one hand you say you need to be trained and qualified to DIY. And then on the other hand you say that as men we should all strive to DIY. You confuse me good sir! :)

Be confused no more.

There's a vast difference between someone who was brought up to know how to handle the everyday manual tasks required in life and someone who attempts something that requires experience and training.

The apparent conumdrum as it relates to the aforementioned group (that is probably the majority of young people today) can be explained by realizing that in their minds trades people are to be looked down upon. So even though the sum total of their own skills is sitting behind a desk using an iPhone, if they have the opportunity to save money (the wealth thing) and deny us yucky underserving people the same, it's acceptable to their beliefs.

I was at the car wash the other day (Yeah, I know but it was too hot to wash it myself). While I'm waiting for my car the Mercedes in front of it comes out. The "help" is wiping it down in like 100 degree heat. I notice the owner going over to the tip box making sure at least one of the guys is watching. From where I was standing I could see that he faked putting some bills in the slot. His hand was empty.

-Hal

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
See, for me it all boils down to "can" and "want". I can wash my car, but I want to take it to the detail shop and let them do it for $40. That is because they will do a better job then I will and have the time and materials to get it done. But that is more of a scenario of valuing the quality of the end product I guess.

For me it all boils down to the time and effort involved versus how interesting I think the project is. For instance, I can change the oil in my car, but I just really don't care to. I've done it a thousand times before and it's just repetitious and boring to me. I gladly pay my $30 to the Ford dealer and let them do it.

And as far as the cheapskate at the car wash, I see that all the time down here. Either nitpicking every little thing or trying to weasel something for nothing.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
See, for me it all boils down to "can" and "want". I can wash my car...

Right. But we have done it and know how to do it. We've rebuilt and replaced engines nevermind just changing oil. For us it is like you said "can" and "want". We make the choice. But for them it's never a choice, it's leave the dirty stuff to some low paid grunt, I'm better than that.

-Hal

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »
We make the choice. But for them it's never a choice, it's leave the dirty stuff to some low paid grunt, I'm better than that.

I like being the grunt that gets the call from the elite. I've had my share of those that look down their nose at me in the beginning. That usually goes away when I implement my full arsenal of personal communication skills. A few comments like if this was easy and anyone can do it then why am I here? Nuff said!

It is those that have that thought in the back of their mind that that they are above work because their mommy said so that piss me off.

Friends of mine own a B&B hotel. Together they have one daughter. A few years ago at age 17 the daughter was expected to work along side with several housekeepers. The daughter was willing to get right in there and do anything and everything and she did very well, she carried her load and her dad was very proud of her. Mom on the other hand was animate with the dad when she discovered daughter was cleaning toilets alongside the staff. Dad lost in the long run.

Same dad had a flat tire on his Mercedes. To make a long story short he changed it himself on the side of the road. Few miles later the wheel fell off. We refer to the $2000 flat tire incident.

I think it is a trade of respect. If someone is doing something for me that I can't do I respect them and expect the same in return.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »
I think it is a trade of respect. If someone is doing something for me that I can't do I respect them and expect the same in return.

I respect those who are doing a job I can't do. I also respect those who are doing a job well that I job I don't want to do. I do not respect those who are doing a job crappily. If they aren't going to do it right I would rather do it my self or take the work elsewhere.

Offline anthonyh

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
We make the choice. But for them it's never a choice, it's leave the dirty stuff to some low paid grunt, I'm better than that.

I like being the grunt that gets the call from the elite. I've had my share of those that look down their nose at me in the beginning. That usually goes away when I implement my full arsenal of personal communication skills. A few comments like if this was easy and anyone can do it then why am I here? Nuff said!

Funny you should say that, I used the same line last week...customer "This seems like it should have been fixed hours ago". My first response "I would have been if you kept your hands off it" after he pushed some more, "If its so easy why am I here", and last after I decided that he was no longer going to be a customer of mine  "your right, its easy, so you fix it, have a great night"  I packed up gear, slid the cover over his god forsaken media panel and left.   He has left a few messages so I am assuming it was not so easy.  Best customer service no, not by any means, satisfying.. oh ya! 

By the way the trouble was he had two wireless access points clustered together, he was having an issue getting on line (cable modem down) as he was fumbling he defaulted both access points, as well as unplugged well everything.  So it had to be toned out, labled, reterminted, and reconfigered.  When I left it was all back together but the access points were not configured.   

...Please don't touch that

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
If its so easy why am I here

The usual answer that I get is "because I'm paying you and that's your job!"

-Hal