Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testimony of Mike Rowe  (Read 22161 times)

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
Re: Testimony of Mike Rowe
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
I remember kindergarten. It was basically arts and crafts, storytime, movietime, and playtime. Basically it was daycare. All you really learned was how to be social with other kids and follow directions from the teachers. Damn, I can't remember last week but I remember a dozen days from when I was 5. Damn my mind is a scary place.

Personally I think all the early enrollment stuff is just a chance at daycare.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
From what I hear from parents, if their kid can't count and write numbers to 10 and can't write their name by the time they enter kindergarten they are short bus material.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
Guess I can see why there is a rise in home schooling.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »
Guess I can see why there is a rise in home schooling.

There is a HUGE rise, and it's not a negative thing.  When we were kids, the only ones who were home schooled were either trouble makers who were expelled, or certain religious groups.  Today it's a positive thing.  There are home school groups everywhere, and the kids don't miss out on the socialization.  The more I deal with the local schools, the more I see it as a positive option. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
I heard the other day that our national economic problems are due to an over abundance of technology. The more I thought about that the more I thought OMFG, we are in deep chit. Actually I already thought that but the feeling just got worse.

I think there is a large amount of the US population that owe their job to technology. Think about the simple technology of a cash register. If it wern't for a cash register to total up a sale and indicate to the cashier how much change to give they would be out the door. Your average McDonalds employee is so inept they have a recorded greeting voice at the speaker to welcome the customer. They are too dumb to learn how to say "How can I help you today"!
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
Your average McDonalds employee is so inept they have a recorded greeting voice at the speaker to welcome the customer.

I hear it worse than that, the register keys are marked to match the meals and items for sale, not dollars and cents; such as a key for large fry, or Big Mac or what ever!

Go to any store and make a purchase for say, $16.22. Now give the little darling a 20 dollar bill, a 1 dollar bill, and 22 cents, then watch his/her face go blank and then look back at you. You would think I put him in a round room and told him to go crap in the corner! I tell them to just proceed with entering the amount I gave them, then watch the little darlings face come to life when the register tells them to give me back $5.00
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
I think there is a large amount of the US population that owe their job to technology.

That's one side of the coin. How about the jobs lost due to technology? We can start with the internet.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Grider

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
That's one side of the coin. How about the jobs lost due to technology? We can start with the internet.

Such as..............?

Offline Grider

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
I know a guy that landed a new gig almost 2 years ago via the internet. 400k plus private jet and nice living quarters.  :011:

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
But it's a TEMPORARY job.... :011:

Offline Grider

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 08:02:37 PM »
But it's a TEMPORARY job....

God I hope so

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
Your average McDonalds employee is so inept they have a recorded greeting voice at the speaker to welcome the customer.

I hear it worse than that, the register keys are marked to match the meals and items for sale, not dollars and cents; such as a key for large fry, or Big Mac or what ever!

Go to any store and make a purchase for say, $16.22. Now give the little darling a 20 dollar bill, a 1 dollar bill, and 22 cents, then watch his/her face go blank and then look back at you. You would think I put him in a round room and told him to go crap in the corner! I tell them to just proceed with entering the amount I gave them, then watch the little darlings face come to life when the register tells them to give me back $15.00

Technology definitely allows some people to have a job they otherwise couldn't do. Just look at Larry, he thinks that if he buys $16.22, and gives someone $21.22, he'd get $15 in change! LOL!!! All's good Larry, I know you meant $5. Just had to bust your chops a little. :)

I don't think technology is solely to blame. It has displaced a lot of the manual labor jobs as now one back-hoe operator can do the work of a whole crew of ditch diggers in a quarter of the time. I think the biggest effect it has is that people mistake given technology as a natural occurrence. It's so ingrained in everything that it's hard to imagine life without it for most people. Hell, that's how we all make our living, taking things that used to require skill and finesse to do and putting it into a little nondescript box that hangs on the wall.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
Technology definitely allows some people to have a job they otherwise couldn't do. Just look at Larry, he thinks that if he buys $16.22, and gives someone $21.22, he'd get $15 in change! LOL!!! All's good Larry, I know you meant $5. Just had to bust your chops a little. :)

I did fix it, (after a friendly PM) but not quick enough

Note to self; Do not post math problems after cocktails! :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »

I did fix it, (after a friendly PM) but not quick enough

Note to self; Do not post math problems after cocktails! :011:

LOL! All in good fun my friend :)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
LOL! All in good fun my friend :)

:011:   :054:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net