Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testimony of Mike Rowe  (Read 22177 times)

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Testimony of Mike Rowe
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
Hal I had one other thought on the gentleman you met at HD.  Based on your description of his dress and age, the clothes may have just reflected his work ethic. 

As for Home Desperate, I really miss having a contractor's lumber yard where the public came in went by the front doors, and all the contractors had a back enterance where we dealt with a completely different set of sales reps.  We had special contractor pricing, and these reps knew their stuff.  When you ran into an issue, they had company cars and would be at your job site within the hour.  You litereally would just drop off your prints and they priced the materials for you.

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
I have said it before and will say it again, "The ability to make money has nothing to do with your education", but only with your work ethic and determination.

Couldn't agree more.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
Even though one lumberyard here just closed, and another hardware store will close in a month or so, the hardware store I work at keeps plugging away despite a HD 5 minutes away. The secret is service. Screen and window repairs, lamp repairs, assembly of all kinds of items. We stock what people need for their old homes, and we know what we are selling. I've worked in retail hardware part time since high school. I get to know the customers and feel proud when I can help them solve even the smallest of problems. If someone wants to walk around HD or Lowe's and knows what they are looking for, then be my guest. Even when I could find an 'associate' to help, most of the time they don't know where the item is or what it even dows!
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Offline EV607797

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
I was on a job last week and was introduced to a few of the electricians working on the job as they were breaking for lunch.  They were just sitting there waiting for their new helper to get back with their food.  The kid pulled up in a fairly nice pickup truck (his own) and was dressed a bit better than he should have been for the job.  The guys introduced me to him after they got their food and he went back to work drilling holes.  I asked the superintendent about this guy because he just seemed so out of place.

He told me that this guy was 23 years old, came from a fairly well-to-do family and had just finished a four year degree in some obscure field.  They had hired him because they needed cheap temporary help to finish this project, but that they planned to hang onto him when the project was finished.

On my way out, I encountered this guy out at the truck.  Curiosity was killing me, so I just had to ask him to tell me a little bit about himself.  He said that he had planned to pursue a career as an elementary school teacher and thought that even though the pay wasn't going to be great, he wanted to give something back to the community.  He hasn't been able to find work as anything but a substitute teacher for mighty poor wages, so he decided to try out his second career path, which was to work in the electrical trades.  Of course, he didn't plan to be a helper all of his life, but he accepted the fact that the only way to start in any career is at the bottom of the ladder.  He has been busting his ass as a helper now for about six months and the rest of the guys love working with him.  They have committed to keeping him with the company and allowing him to earn continuing education credits under their employment.  I asked him if he was going to ever consider going back to his career in education and he said no.  He said that he'll help out when he can as a substitute and is even thinking about helping with some of the night classes for adult education that are offered in the community.

When I asked him why he had become so dedicated to a career in such a short period of time, his answer was somewhat amazing:

"My parents have a lot of money.  A LOT of it.  Despite this, I was never permitted to slack on anything.  I had to do chores at home.  I had to help prepare the meals.  I had to do my own laundry since I was old enough to reach the machines.  Once I was old enough, my parents made me get a job.  All throughout school, I had to participate in at least two extra-curricular activities.  I tried all kinds of sports, groups and clubs.  I learned a little bit about a lot of things.  I guess in a way, I just never knew how to slack, so I never even thought about it."

After hearing that, all I could do was to shake his hand and thank him for reaffirming my belief that there are still some good kids out there who want to make something of themselves.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
I like hearing stories like that Ed...makes me feel good that there are other young people like me who work hard to get ahead in their field, and do what it takes!
As you guys know I recently graduated and I'm back home trying to find a job. Staying busy now with computer and phone work, and getting my resume to anyone who will look at it!
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Offline JordonJ

• Technician
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
I went to college...biggest waste of 4 years of my life!!!

I worked a lot of different jobs.  Telecomm has been the best fit.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone straight to learning telecom (I dunno how easy that would have been back in 1988 though).

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »

He told me that this guy was 23 years old, came from a fairly well-to-do family and had just finished a four year degree in some obscure field.

That's pretty typical. Money bags Mommy and Daddy put their kid through college. You have to say something for this kid though because in such cases the kid is usually spoiled and useless.

There is a guy over on another board that I frequent who finished college and started a lawn care business. He was looking for advice on how to get customers because he only had one. He started the thread in March and the other day posted "thanks for all your help guys but I'm out of business. I can't get any customers... I still owe my parents money and I still need a way to pay for college, some how I wasted 6 months trying to start a lawn care business".

I can't think of a worst way to start out in life than with no job and already being tens of thousands of dollars in debt. If he had just gotten a job after high school and lived at home until he could afford to move out he would be well on his way to MAKING money, not spending half his life paying for some worthless diploma.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone straight to learning telecom (I dunno how easy that would have been back in 1988 though).

Actually that was a great time to get a job with one of the new interconnects that were starting up because of the 1984 divestiture.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:06 AM »
Today College is nothing more than a business. A business that wants every high school grad for a customer.

Let's call is what it really is; "Day care for young adults"
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline JordonJ

• Technician
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 06:50:49 AM »
Today College is nothing more than a business. A business that wants every high school grad for a customer.

I think that was what it was back when I went to college (1988-1992)

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »

I think that was what it was back when I went to college (1988-1992)

I think that's what it is most of the time. For every student who is there for the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, I would guess there are 100 that are there to get a piece of paper and party.  And since colleges are trying to get every high school student to enroll, the chances of you really being able to even pursue your intellectual curiosity at any given college is dwindling. They are teaching to the lowest common denominator now. If mommy and daddy's precious little angel doesn't get A's and B's, why they just might quit paying for them to go to college.

I still think a lot of the more heavy hitting science degrees are best taught in college. However it does seem like less and less of them are being taught. One of the big reasons I quit seeking my engineering degree is because I didn't see a huge job market and the cost to finish the last two years at an accredited college was staggering. That combined with what some working engineers told me I could realistically expect to make didn't bode well. I still miss that I didn't pursue it further, but only from an intellectual standpoint. From a working and quality-of-living standpoint, I don't regret it at all.

Besides, one day I'll go back and finish it off for the fun of it. I'll be that weird old fat guy in the back of the class screwing up the bell curve and telling bed time stories about how things were "back in my day". :)
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
They are teaching to the lowest common denominator now.

Exactly!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
One of the big reasons I quit seeking my engineering degree is because I didn't see a huge job market...

Exactly, I started on an BSEE degree but didn't finish 2 years because I woke up one day and asked myself where the hell am I going with this. Most companies were bringing in engineers from India because they were willing to work for less. If you look at the end of the tunnel and see darkness it doesn't make much sense to continue. Look at what has happened to the "prestigious" law and business degrees, we have lawyers and MBAs up the wazoo looking for work. So now all the X Box jockeys aspire to becoming financial and wall street gurus because they read in the papers how they make millions. That's right up there with wanting to be a rock star or a major sports figure. Grow up.

-Hal 

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
One of the big reasons I quit seeking my engineering degree is because I didn't see a huge job market...

Exactly, I started on an BSEE degree but didn't finish 2 years because I woke up one day and asked myself where the hell am I going with this. Most companies were bringing in engineers from India because they were willing to work for less. If you look at the end of the tunnel and see darkness it doesn't make much sense to continue. Look at what has happened to the "prestigious" law and business degrees, we have lawyers and MBAs up the wazoo looking for work. So now all the X Box jockeys aspire to becoming financial and wall street gurus because they read in the papers how they make millions. That's right up there with wanting to be a rock star or a major sports figure. Grow up.

-Hal 

Yeah. I went to a local community college and had mostly all my pre-req's and major math out of the way for my AS degree when I quit. The crappy job market combined with the sheer cost of getting the BSEE was all the deterrent I needed. It also probably helped that I was paying my own way through college too. $1300/cr.hr. is a whole different thing when you have to work to make that money. It's a hell of a lot easier to just "go to college" when someone else is footing the bill.

Like I said though, the only thing I miss (or think I've missed) is the learning part. But it will be nice to eventually go back and just take the few classes I am interested in instead of all the crap I have to take for the degree. Guess you could call it a hobby :)

Offline hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
And another thing that gets me- I was talking to my wife's neice the other day and one of her kids will be starting kindergarten this fall. The kid just graduated (GRADUATED??) from preschool. She was given homework to do over the summer to be turned in to the kindergarten teacher. WTF??? Don't know about you but I never went to "nursery school" or daycare. My first day of school was kindergarten and all I did there was pee in my pants and listen to stories.

So with starting school before you are able to think and the constant pressure and demands all through grade and high school- isn't that like brainwashing? When does a kid have time to be a kid? Is it any wonder some commit suicide, shoot up the place or kill themselves if they don't get into their dream college? Is it any wonder many don't know how to be anything but students? This is nuts!!!!

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
isn't that like brainwashing?

YEP!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net