Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Testimony of Mike Rowe  (Read 22165 times)

Online Keighlar

Re: Testimony of Mike Rowe
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
I graduated Magna Cum Laude from college, with a double major and a minor in 4 1/2 years.  I had a ton of scholarships... upwards of $10,000 per year with my first year completely free.  I worked three jobs simultaneously while taking 18+ credit hours at a time.  My parents had no money to help, so the remainder of my schooling came in as loans.  I am now 40 years old, I did not work in my "degreed" field for more than two years, and I still owe more than $12,000 on that loan.  At my present pay grade, I'll be paying that off until I retire.  Fat lot of good my degree did me.

Now I have two children - both will be in Jr. High and High school next year and it's time to start looking at vocations for them.  I always thought that I would INSIST they go to college.  I'm just not sure that's such a good idea anymore.  My eldest likes graphic design.  So maybe community college or simply some technical training?  My younger daughter doesn't know yet, but those bridges will need to be crossed soon. 

So... I was the first person in my family to go to college... and I very well may be the last.  *sigh*
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline anthonyh

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
I am about to turn 35, I just sent in my last student loan payment.  I worked my ass of to pay for school from day one.  Did everything from landscaping in a cemetery, to cooking, carpentry, phone guy,even worked on the Docks for circle line for a while.  I finally got my degree (no where near  Magna Cum Laude ;O))

I found a decent job which i have worked to to advance in....and to be perfectly honest, I would rather be working anyone of my old jobs, I actually enjoyed going to work, working with my hands,building, fixing, designing, no better feeling then looking back on a job well done and thinking...I did that.

I am not knocking college but I definitley think we need to bring back and emphasize the power of learning a trade. I fully intend to teach my boys everything I can, and yes I want them to get an education but if they want to learn a skill and a trade I will back that as well.
...Please don't touch that

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
Stacey two weeks ago I found out an old friend had passed away.  I picked up the phone to call a mutual friend we had to find out what happened.  This friend is a practicing psychologist I'd worked with on cases in family law court over the past 20+ years.  We're not talking about someone who was just barely in the business.  We're talking a PhD with over 30 years in private practice, working on court appointed cases, and even defense contracts.  Things have changed in health care as well as in a lot of business areas that affected his practice.  He told me he is now seeing his cash pay patients two days a week, and working the other five in the electronics department at Wal-Mart as their cell phone person.  Things are changing.  What I thought was interesting was he said "Trace, you would be amazed at how many people we have working in my store with advanced degrees."
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
you would be amazed at how many people we have working in my store with advanced degrees...

I was at Home Dumpo a few weeks ago and I could almost cry because I felt so bad. I saw a rather distinguished gentleman, probably in his 50's wearing a white shirt, dress pants and shoes. At first glance I thought he was a customer, but then I noticed the orange apron when he turned around. He was working there. Probably out of work from some profession, the poor guy didn't even have work clothes.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
I've seen that recently at HD Hal.  A few months back I was helping an old high school buddy who had a run of bad luck.  He got an old house that was built in about 1916 and had 6 glass fuses running the whole place.  I went over one weekend to rewire the house and we stopped at Home Desperate to get the supplies.  I was scribbling some notes on the cardboard box and randomly babbling about being able to de-rate the neutral line when he interrupted and showed me where my mistake was.  It turned out this guy was a retired electrical engineer who got axed and couldn't make it on what he had put back.  It really is sad.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
My father worked at the same place for 30 years.  He started working on the floor, running the line at a paper manufacturing plant straight out of high school.  Over the years, he worked his way into upper management, traveling the world to help out their struggling plants.  He survived four buy-outs, take-overs - whatever you want to call them - where many others were cut out.  Unfortunately, he did not survive this economy.  He was blind-sided when they decided to cut out basically all management.  That was over a year ago now.  He's gone through his unemployment, unsuccessfully attempted two other working positions, and he's still looking for work.  In the mean time, my mother is cleaning houses 3 days a week to try to keep food on the table, and the house I grew up in is in foreclosure. 

Right now, his best prospect is working in the Ace Hardware warehouse.  We're all waiting on pins and needles to see if he will get the position.  Sad, sad state of the world.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
What's up with the reference to Home Depot as Home Dumpo & Home Desperate? I always considered HD as a pretty good place to go when interested in purchasing certain things. If they stocked pet food, coffee and ground beef I wouldn't go any place else. Couple of gas pumps out on the parking lot would be rather handy too.
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline Daytech

• Pro Shop Member
    • Emery Communications Inc
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »
If they stocked pet food, coffee and ground beef I wouldn't go any place else.

I had to chuckle to myself on this comment. For those of us who have Menard's home improvement stores in the north, I am amazed at the variety of items one can purchase. I can walk in get a gallon of milk, carton of eggs, sheet of plywood and a toilet all in the same store. They are by far a home improvement store but they do have any area with frozen and refrigerated food.

Todd

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
What's up with the reference to Home Depot as Home Dumpo & Home Desperate?
It's not just home depot
The big box retailers we all love are getting bigger and more powerful and now have politicians in their pocket. We are about to loose free checking and incur fees on debit cards because of their power.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/05/23/like-debit-card-free-checking-account-heres-important-vote-watch/

This is for information only, not to be political about it....now back on topic! :003:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:42 AM »
I hope things work out for your dad and family Stacy , my Dad was in a similar situation getting the shaft from a company that he had  spent 30+years helping to build then was forced out without all the things that had been promised to him   . that made me decided that I wanted to  be self employed

I'm with John on the home depot  bashing
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
My only problem with Home Depot is the people who frequent them. Just like Walmart. Maybe if I when there during the day when the people who do contract work for a living are there I wouldn't hate it so much. But I'm only ever there around like 6-9 or on the weekend with all the weekend warriors.

Only other option is Lowes or Ace. Lowes is just Home depot with different brands and better help. I like Ace whenever I need to just get something and get out.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
What's up with the reference to Home Depot as Home Dumpo & Home Desperate?

Maybe you don't pay attention to the caliber of people who frequent those fine establishments or the people that they hire. Then you might also want to consider their "de-spec'd" products- everything from plumbing to locksets to power tools to crap paint that they sell to the cheapo DIY's and trunkers. If you think the Kohler, Schlage, Milwaukee, Purdy brushes, etc are the same as what regular suppliers carry you are in for a surprise.

Yeah, there are some pros that purchase there but they know what they are looking for and know what to stay away from. If I go there for some 2x4s I go through the whole square to find 25 straight ones for instance.

This is not to say that you can't find things there that you can use. Just do your shopping at 7:30AM or 9PM when all the dregs are either sleeping or watching Celibrity Dance Challenge.

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »
I like Ace whenever I need to just get something and get out.

I agree James, the thing I hate most about Lowes and Home Depot are the employees that keep asking "can I help you?"  If I pass 10 employees then I'm asked 10 times "can I help you?" I also hate every employee saying "hi" every time they pass you. I really get tired of saying "hi" or "no thank you" over and over everytime I walk into one of those places. They seem to always have 20 some employees lurking in the isles waiting to pounce on you, but try to find one of them when you areready to check-out. 
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Grider

• Greenlight Communications
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 04:28:48 PM »
If I go there for some 2x4s I go through the whole square to find 25 straight ones for instance.

Damn! Them southern boys at Georgia Pacific are up to their old tricks again. Warped chit=North of Mason Dixon line, Good straight pine goes to Floriduh and Texas.

Hal, you are unfortunately an intelligent man among a large population of others that don't know quality wood. :008:
ESI Certified Technician since 2003
www.greenlightconnection.com

Offline mdaniel

• Walker Communications, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Coming in a little late on this one but, some of the wealthiest people I know, doesn't even have a high school diploma.
Two different ones that come to mind, own their own Banks, but don't have a HS diploma. Heck one of them didn't even finish grade school, and he is now one of the wealthiest men in east Ky.

I'm a firm believer in higher education, but unless it is applied with common sense, it's nothing more than a sheet of paper.

I have said it before and will say it again, "The ability to make money has nothing to do with your education", but only with your work ethic and determination.
Authorized Avaya SMB Business Partner
www.walker-solutions.com