Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where is the problem?  (Read 8779 times)

Offline Rhonda

• Wells Manufacturing, L.P.
Where is the problem?
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
I have a question that I'm sure is grade K for all of you but my mind is going in circles....

I am in Fond du Lac, WI.  I am trying to dial 1-800-582-3014 which is a Conference Bridge number for a service I subscribe to for my company.

If I call that number from a company phone that is hooked to the PBX (Swichboard/conference phone/etc) I get an intercept tone on this phone.

If I call that number from a non-PBX pots line, I get an intercept tone.

If I call that number from a cellular telephone, I get through.

I can dial any other toll-free number with any of these phones and reach my destination. 

People at the vendors office in Deleware can dial the toll-free number with no issues.

Where is the trouble? 

Is it at a local CO between here and there?

Offline Skip555

Re: Where is the problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

If I call that number from a non-PBX pots line, I get an intercept tone.

so that's a number not going through your switch ?

LD carrier ?   that's my first thought

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
If you're getting intercept from both PBX and none PBX lines the problem is in the routing with the local service provider.    If you were calling outside the 800 numbers calling area you'd get a recording.

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
Thank you.

I called ATT C.S. to check the line and they told me they couldn't as it wasn't in their data base.  Hmmmm...  It's a valid 800 number.

I don't have another vendor for my 800 traffic.  My calls go over T-1's on the AT&T network.  I'm letting the vendor carry the ball right now as I can call anywhere else in the world, just not to this one single 800 number. 

We know the number is good as it can be reached on mobile phones from my location.  So when an 800 call routes on copper, it goes through the CO's.  How can they mess up a single number? 

Offline EV607797

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
Rhonda, if you truly have T1 circuits that are directly-connected to at&t's network for all calls, then they won't process toll-free calls for exchange codes that they don't own.  They effectively force you to route calls to toll-free numbers that they don't own via the lower level (the LEC) for routing.  I figured this out the hard way about ten years ago.  At&t doesn't like competition. 

Are you sure that you don't have any local POTS lines or trunks on your switch to handle these calls?  Even though 'the new at&t' is FDL's LEC now, they still have to honor the original RBOC commitments as far back as when they were Wisconsin Bell.

My guess is that since your switch is sending everything out via your T1s, at&t is screening your calls and cutting out processing them to their competitors.  I am 100% sure that a conference bridge provider isn't paying their toll rates, so therein lies the problem.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »
Well, when I left work yesterday I couldn't reach that one toll-free number.  This morning I can get through on any phone.

The conference vendor did admit that they did a reboot of their system this past weekend and something may have hung up with this line.  They were very good at looking at their network and not automatically passing the buck or pointing fingers, which means a lot.  It is the first time in the 6 years I've had them as a vendor that we've had a single issue.  Assuming it's fixed and it was their issue, I may never know the reason for the issue.

Thank you for your input and suggestions.  I appreciate it very much!

Rhonda

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
Here is an official notation from the vendor incase anyone runs into this in their world:

The phone number was re-uploaded to the SMS database which should allow the number to be called by everyone again.  The SMS database is a central administration system which maintains all Toll Free Service. For some reason, our number was not loaded for certain regions and that is why only select users were having the issue.  With the number being reloaded for all regions everyone should be fine to call the number again.  Global Crossing (our phone carrier) is working with the SMS group to find why the number lost regions and caused the initial problem.  I do not have an answer as to why this happened just that is has been fixed and they will continue to investigate the root cause.

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
If that was the case, why were you able to still get through with your cell phones....assuming they are in the same area code? :022:
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
You certainly have a point there.

I am in 920 area code in Wisconsin and this 800 number is in the state of Deleware. 

The question then is, why would we be able reach it with a cell phone if the number was somehow suddenly missing from the database or was suddenly blocked from our calling area.  Would mobile phones override that or is there something they are not telling me?  Hmmmmm

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
Cellular database is different than land based carrier database. You ran into a situation whereby their database was not updated and current. Wait till you run into a situation where you can dial a certain office prefix from one cell carrier but not another. Happens all the time in Texas.

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
Good to know - Thank you!

Nothing is ever black and white, is it?  Many, many shades of grey to every issue.  Ugh....