Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Megapath pulling out?  (Read 2134 times)

Online EV607797

Megapath pulling out?
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
I just received a frantic call from a customer who is using Megapath for their integrated access service.  Apparently, they have decided to pull out of select COs in this area.  Although they claim that they notified this customer, they have only been sending e-mails to an employee who no longer works there.  The bad part is that they are completely disconnecting them on 3/16! 

Granted, I'm sure that they were given notice with enough time to find a new provider, but wouldn't you think that if they were doing something so drastic that they'd have sent them something in writing and not just in an e-mail?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MnDave

Re: Megapath pulling out?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
Isn't there a gray area where some of these VoIP providers aren't exactly under the same obligations as a utility, i.e. traditional TelCo? It seems to me that I came across something like that once. Or am I mixing up "providers" like Magic Jack who claim they are exempt from collecting certain types of usage fees because they are not a TelCo (even though they deliver basic phone services?). There may be regulatory loop holes but even still, this is a complete failure of established business practices. It would be interesting to follow this if any of their customers are legal firms.