Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paging in a Gymnasium  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Daytech

• Pro Shop Member
    • Emery Communications Inc
Paging in a Gymnasium
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:41:45 PM »
I have an existing customer in a school that has a Gymnasium in which they would like paging/sound system. According to the Principle they have all the students in the gym for the morning announcements. They would like to be able to walk around with a wireless mic and speak. They also would like to be able to play music over the same speakers for talents shows, programs, etc. I am not well versed in sound systems as my extent of paging is typically self amplified speakers in an office area. I know that I can get amps with inputs and adjustments to connect everything, my questions stems mostly from the speaker choices and placement.  The gym is the typical basket ball court size and probably 55' tall. I am looking for suggestions, I know a paging horn will suffice for the announcement but what about the music? Is there a good solution for both uses? Of course this all has to be handled by a small budget.

Thanks for any and all help!

Todd

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
Re: Paging in a Gymnasium
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
Is there a good solution for both uses?

It really depends on what they want. If they just want a simple public address system with a wireless mic, you can just throw up some paging horns. Once you start talking about music you are talking about an entirely different system, unless they don't care about quality.

Of course this all has to be handled by a small budget.

Again... it really depends on what they want. If they want a good sounding public address system, it's going to cost more. If they just want to make announcements and they don't care about the sound, you are back to just throwing up a few horns.

If it was me, even though cost appears to be an issue, I would try to move them towards a quality public address system. Something with a small mixer and a nice amp or two - depending on size. The mixer will allow them to connect just about any audio source they want to connect from someone's iPod to a laptop for a video presentation.

This is not a knock on you, but if you are not familiar with audio - I would let someone else do the job. Just like we don't like CG's trying to install phone systems, you shouldn't be doing audio if it's not something you are comfortable with. There's a big difference between putting up paging horns or ceiling speakers for a phone system and a public address system in auditorium or gymnasium.

High school gymnasiums have always been problematic for sound system installation. High crowd noise levels, highly reflective room surfaces and limited budgets make the design of an effective sound system for a typical gymnasium a real challenge. Additional complications are introduced when the facility will also be used for assemblies, graduation exercises, plays and the like.

Here is an idea of what you are talking about for a basic public address system. This is to just give you an idea of what you are looking for and is by no means an endorsement of the system or the retailer. It's just something I found doing a Google search, but it will give you a better idea of what's needed for the basic system.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
This may sound like a fairly simple job if you are not familiar but it's really one of the most difficult. Simple PA is one thing with some overhead speakers (many more than one) up in the truses but "multipurposing" the room is a whole new ball game. Add to that the lack of funds and whatever gets done, if anything is a certain disaster. This is not something I would want to tackle. Depending on their budget I would probably advise a portable system with a couple of speakers on a stick. It could be moved around and set up for whatever program they are doing. If that doesn't fly I would take Marc's advice, pass on it or refer them to a sound company.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Daytech

• Pro Shop Member
    • Emery Communications Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the input Marc and Hal, you both have pretty well confirmed what I was thinking. I was already pretty sure I was going to pass on the paging portion of the job but I was considering it. I will advise the customer further on my concerns and proceed to tell them that if they want anything more than just a couple paging horns that I will pass the job onto a professional sound company.

Thanks Guys,

Todd