My Phone Techs

Member Forums => Antique Telephones => Topic started by: RudyBega on August 19, 2012, 11:20:51 PM

Title: Antique receiver substitute?
Post by: RudyBega on August 19, 2012, 11:20:51 PM
Hello all!

I'm new to the forums. I came looking for (hopefully) an easy answer.

Short question - What kind of speaker (ohms, watts, etc) can I put in place of a receiver that is now, basically, a 500 series Western telephone?

Longer version - I'm restoring/refurbishing an old Chicago Telephone that belongs to my mother-in-law.  She had seen pictures of this phone that had be redone to work.  I took the "guts" of a Western series 500 desk phone and put it all into the antique phone box (hiding the black box in the bottom and covering it with the dialer).  Everything fits great EXCEPT the receiver (speaker).  It will not fit into the the bakelite handheld unit.

I'm looking for help as to what kind of speaker I can buy to put in the end of that thing.

I've searched (as best I could) but I don't really know what questions/keywords will get me the info I need.  I'm sure I found the answer, but by the time I get the the nitty gritty details, it's an electrical schematic that makes my head hurt!  :016:

If this rambling is understood by anyone, you'd be my hero for the day if you could help me out!
Title: Re: Antique receiver substitute?
Post by: Skip555 on August 20, 2012, 06:49:21 AM
check out Phoneco  they will have all the parts you need

by "speaker" you are looking for a transmitter

the "handset "contains a Transmitter that you speak into and a receiver that you hear through 

they have adapters that allow modern transmitters to fit into the older handsets